Saving Stephenie - Chapter 14

Chapter 14

                To say I was freezing would be an understatement. Between the sudden burst of adrenaline and all the running I seemed to forget it was winter in Pennsylvania. As soon as I was sitting down and the last of the adrenaline pumped through my veins, I was shivering. The tears seemed to freeze on my face as I sat there trying to compose myself.

                Finally Derek’s car pulled up and he seemed to fly out of the car and I was in his arms in seconds. I found it strange that he hadn’t made fun of me for once or made some comment. I couldn’t believe that he was being so… nice. It wasn’t in either of our natures. It also wasn’t in my nature to break down like this but yet here I was. Maybe it was a night of changed personalities. 

                “What’s going on?” he asked pulling away and staring me right in the eyes.

                “Just take me home,” I said shaking him off trying to gain back some integrity and walking over to the car.

                “Where are your shoes?” he asked sounding like he was trying to suppress laughter.

                “Shut up and get in the car,” I said my voice still shaky as I climbed into the passenger seat.

                He got in the car slamming the door with more force than normal. He didn’t put the car in drive or anything and just sat there a moment. I was about to open my mouth to suggest we move or something but he turned to me and started talking before I had the chance.

                “Seriously, what’s going on? What’s happening? Last I knew you were going to that dance that we both know you wouldn’t have gone to if not dragged by that idiot Trey. What did he do, I’ve never seen you like this. I need you to tell me something. Do I need to go beat that guy’s ass or something?” He was actually angry.

                “Just take me home, then I’ll explain,” I lied looking at him. He didn’t look like he believe me so I thought I’d tell some of the truth. “I just need to do something first, okay? Then I’ll talk.”

                I knew what I needed to do and I knew that I wouldn’t really tell him what was going on. I couldn’t make myself any more vulnerable right now, especially to him. I needed to talk to someone, the only someone I could trust in the world, even now.

                I needed to talk to Cam.

                Derek looked at me for a couple more minutes before silently giving in and pulling out of the parking lot starting the drive to my house. We both were quiet the entire way there – not even the radio was turned on. We both sat there consumed by our own thoughts. Although, I was slightly intrigued by what was going through his head.

                When we pulled into my driveway I let out a sigh of relief as I remembered that my parents weren’t home since all the lights in my house were dark. I honestly couldn’t remember where they were, and I couldn’t care less.

                I turned to Derek as he stopped the car, trying to think of something to say to get rid of him so I could go see Cam but so much was going on in my head that I came up blank. So I sat there for a second with my mouth open like I was going to say something, but instead of talking to him or thanking him I quickly bolted out of the car and raced into my house running as fast as my feet would carry me. I could hear Derek yelling behind me but I couldn’t deal with that on top of everything right now.