22

I’m in a cold, white room. The lights are blinding and there’s a smell of bleach everywhere. Where am I? Is this a hospital? There’s a loud bell that goes off in the distance. Screams and shouts.

They don’t sound frightened, they sound happy, gleeful. Children. Around the ages of 2 till 5, flood the room. They all gather around and sit on the cold marble floor. A woman enters, I recognise this woman. She speaks to the children, telling them that they will be staying for a while.

One little girl raises her hand “escuuz mee lady,” she asks politely, mispronouncing her words, she hardly looks 3 years old “Where is my mama? Will she be staying here too?” the woman shakes her head “I’m sorry honey, this is a playground for children only, no grown ups allowed.” The little girl starts crying “But I want my mama, pweez?” she cries.

The woman leaves as the rest of the children start crying hysterically asking for their parents.
As she leaves the room I notice, there are many other rooms, all filled with children and on the doors are the names of the towns they were taken from.

I remember where I’d seen the woman from… Cassandra! The president’s assistant.

Oh, No. It’s happening again. This time they’ve taken all the children of the world.

***

“Are you sure we can trust that woman? I just mean the villagers didn’t seem too keen to tell outsiders about the secret hideout of the rebels, what makes you think she would?” Said Adam, as he swatted away flying bugs while trying to get his shoe unstuck, which was trapped in a thick blob of mud.

We had asked villagers if they’d heard about the rebels who were on the island. Many turned us away, till we came across a boy, playing in the street with a ball. He wasn’t kicking the ball, nor was he bouncing it. In fact, he was changing its’ shape. The ball was round, then square, then pentagon.

I approached the boy who then ran to his mother. I showed his mother that I had powers too, and then showed her the letter from my father. For some reason, this made her trust me enough to tell me the hideout of the rebels.

I was following a map she had drawn of the forest, but I couldn’t quite figure out which tree was which. “We can trust her. It shouldn’t be too far from here.” I said unconvincingly, looking around at the trees that all looked exactly the same as the trees we passed fifteen minutes ago.

“Cat, are we lost?” Casey said, as she clung onto Adams arm for stability. I hated that she came with us. It was just the three of us, as Alora decided we should go ahead and find the place first and we could come back for her. Gunner decided to stay with her, in case there was any more trouble.

Casey had Telekinesis as well, she’s had more practice than I have, although it had been established that I was still more powerful. Her mind had limitations to only moving things she could see, whereas I could move things that I didn’t have to see, I just had to know it was there. This meant I could be standing kilometres away and still move things around in a building, as long as I was certain about which item I wanted to move and where the item was located specifically.

If I had this information sooner then I wouldn’t have had to enter the castle where the president was, I just had to know specifically where in the room he was situated and have him come to me.

Casey insisted she come though, saying she could be of some assistance to us, when negotiating our way into the rebel base. I found this unnecessary. I had my father’s letter, I had my powers and if they had any Seers on base, they would know who I was and what I’d be doing there before I even arrived.

I didn’t answer her, I just kept walking and nearly tripped over something as irritated as I was with Casey. Backtracking, I bent down and noticed a flat, metallic board. “A strange place to find something like this here,” I started as I lifted the one end of the board, a grating noise like rocks rubbing against each other was heard not too far away.

I looked up to see a boulder had been moved out of the way of what looked like a cave, hidden behind vines of a huge tree nearby. Two figures emerged from the cave, both male. I figured they either belong to the rebellion or they know where the rebellion is situated and stepped forward to talk with them.

Just then I heard a gasp from behind me, I turned to see Casey’s face frozen in a state of shock. She started slowly retreating backwards, eyes still fixated on the approaching figures. I didn’t have time to process her reaction, when she suddenly sprinted in the opposite direction. Going back the way we came.

“CASEY!!” Adam called, he started to run after her when one of the male figures grabbed his arm “let her go.” He said to Adam, Adam turned and swung his fist at the man’s face. The man anticipated this reaction and avoided his fist easily swaying out of the way.

“She’s a spy,” the man closest to me spoke up. “Her name is Casey and she is a spy for the government. You think you know who she is Adam, but you don’t.” He finished. Looking at Adam. Adam was still seething as he stomped toward this man looking ready to tackle him down. As he got closer, his facial expression started to change. From rage to pure shock.

I couldn’t understand what was happening. It seemed as though Casey had recognised the man the way Adam also now seemed to recognise him. I had no idea who he was, he didn’t look familiar to me at all. I scrutinised his face, trying to figure out if he might have been a public figure that I was supposed to know. I came up blank.

Adam stopped dead in his tracks and looked pale as he stared at the man who was now smiling, with tears in his eyes. “It’s good to see you again,” his smile now much wider “brother.”