Prologue

Little Mary Poppins sat quietly on her bed at three in the morning. All the other little orphans were sound asleep, but not Mary.

She was having a hard time falling asleep, so eventually, the young girl gave up. It was better to play with her abilities while no one was around to see.

Mary loved practicing magic in front of muggles. If they saw it, part of the time they were impressed.

However, she knew the ministry obliviators too well. They would come over and obliviate those who managed to see it, no matter how impressed they were with it.

Mary flinched as a sound was made by the doorway.

It was none other than the woman who ran it, Clarabelle White.

"Miss Clarabelle. Fancy seeing you here." Mary said as she levitated the flower from the vase.

"You know you aren't supposed to do magic while the other kids are here."

Clarabelle was informed of the girl's magic long before it became an issue. The moment she was dropped off, the ministry had come in to responsibly inform her of the magical properties.

"They're asleep, Miss Clarabelle. They can't see if they're not awake." said the little girl.

Clarabelle sighed. Mary dropped the flower and simply smiled at the woman.

"Come now, Mary. It's time we talk about a little something called Hogwarts."

Mary sat nervously on the Hogwarts Express. She managed to find a compartment all to herself, so no one could disturb her as she read through her spell book.

She wanted to retain as much knowledge as possible. All she wanted was to be the brightest of her year, and rise above everyone when it came to knowledge.

Hogwarts was a beautiful school. Mary couldn't take her eyes off the beautiful castle in the night. All the other students gazed at the towers and the intricate details along with Mary.

She was happy to call it home instead of the orphanage. A home where she was welcome.

She now sat on the stool where a hat, strangely enough, would sort her into a house. Mary thought immediately that it was crazy to have some rags sorting her.

"I see you do not approve of my appearance."

Mary gasped as the voice appeared in her head.

"Well, you're a hat! I wouldn't expect you to be able to talk or put me in my house for seven years!" Mary was seriously judging the sorting hat's ability.

"I'm going to ignore everything you've said so far. It's time to sort you, which luckily, isn't so hard."

"What is that supposed to mean?" Mary asked.

"You're intelligent, high strong, resourceful, somewhat humble."

Mary didn't know what he was getting at. Hopefully, she wouldn't be somewhere she didn't want to be.

"SLYTHERIN!"