Chapter Sixteen

arous·al [ah-rou'z'l] - noun

1. a state of responsiveness to sensory stimulation or excitability.

2. the act or state of waking from or as if from sleep.

3. the act of stimulating to readiness or to action.

I didn't join Gray for a cold shower. Instead, we pulled ourselves together and he drove me home. We didn't even finish the movie. I needed space and I think he sensed that because he didn't suggest watching the rest.

When he pulled in front of Mena's house, he turned to face me. "Thank you."

If this was a tactic to confusion me, it worked. "For what? As I recall, I left you high and dry."

"Definitely high, but more moist than dry." He grinned. "As I hope I left you."

My cheeks flamed and I tried not to shift my legs because it reminded me just how moist I still was.

"Daphne?" He leaned forward, pulling me closer by my hand.

"Yes?"

His mouth hovered millimeters away from mine. "You know what?"

"You want to kiss me?"

He grinned and stroked my hair back from my face. "Yes, but that's not what I was going to say."

"What were you going to say?"

"I don't remember. The idea of kissing you is distracting me." He touched his lips to mine, softly once and then with passion that stole my breath.

I felt myself liquefying in his arms. I was about to throw caution to the wind and invite him upstairs, despite my underwear, when he retreated. "You need to go up now, darling," he said, panting. "Not because I want you to, but because I don't want you to."

Nodding, I glanced at his mouth and then down at his lap. I murmured goodnight and ran up to my temporary home.

As I lay in bed later, I traced my lips. I couldn't remember them ever feeling like this before-ripe and swollen. I knew that if I touched my more intimate parts, they'd feel the same way. I ran my hand down my abdomen and into the waistband of my pajamas-

My cell phone rang, and I jerked my hand out. I picked it up from the nightstand. It was Gray. Clearing my throat, I flipped open the phone. "Hello?"

"Go out with me again."

"Yes," I replied without thinking.

"I'm free the evening after tomorrow. Dinner?"

"Yes."

The smile in his voice warmed me. "Good. I'll call you. Daphne?"

"Yes?"

"Are you touching yourself?"

My face burned. "No."

His chuckle was wicked. "Then next time I'll have to do better. Goodnight, darling."

Snapping the phone shut, I closed my eyes and tried not to feel ridiculously pleased that he'd called me so quickly for another date.

I didn't succeed.

"Mena, are you free this evening?" I whispered.

"I have Kung Fu."

"Oh." I pursed my lips in disappointment. I was hoping she'd be able to go shopping with me since she had expertise in lingerie. I had a date with Gray set up for tomorrow and I wasn't going to let anything stand in my way this time.