Chapter Ten

Addendum to Ideal Husband List:

Doesn't use big words

While waiting for my interview with Play Me's manager, I perused the DVDs on sale. Interesting titles. I picked up V for Vendetta. A villain skilled in deception, an innocent woman who falls under his spell. The story hit a little close to home. Maybe I should send Kevin a mask.

"Excuse me, are you Daphne?"

"Yes." Setting the movie back on the shelf, I turned and smiled politely. Thank goodness they didn't have any risqué DVDs.

"I'm Walter, the manager here."

"Are you sure?" He looked about twelve. I was willing to bet he didn't need to shave everyday. But then I realized that wasn't the best way to ingratiate myself to my future boss. "I mean, it's a pleasure to meet you."

"Why don't we go to my office?" He led me through a door into what looked like a closet, except there was a desk in there plus a couple chairs. I perched on one when he waved me toward it and surveyed the tiny room. There were empty VHS cases everywhere. They seemed to be holding down the paperwork. Or hiding it.

How did he stand the mess? I clenched my hands into fists to keep from reaching out to straighten things. To give him credit, it was a touch more orderly than Mr. Delgado's office space.

Walter leaned back so his chair balanced on two legs. "So Daphne, your application says you've never worked at a video store."

Not again. My stomach cramped. "No, but I love movies," I lied.

"What's your favorite movie?"

"Die Hard with a Vengeance," I said without hesitation, noting the overarching theme in the movies that attracted me.

"Oh yeah, man." Walter nodded enthusiastically. "Bruce Willis kicks ass in that movie."

"Yes, he really does," I agreed even though I didn't remember him kicking anyone's posterior when I watched it a couple nights ago.

"What about Armageddon?" he asked eagerly.

I figured he was talking about another movie and not the end of the world. "It was great. Very touching."

"Totally, man! That part at the end when Bruce Willis switches places with Ben Affleck..." He shook his head. "I damn near teared up."

"I know." I nodded like I knew what I was talking about.

"This is great." Walter righted the chair and leaned forward. "What are some of your other favorites?"

Time for a change of topic. If I tried to speak any more, I'd give my ignorance away, and I didn't want to blow another opportunity. "Walter, why don't you tell me a little about the clerk position and what it entails?"

"It's a piece of cake." He waved a hand dismissively. "You check movies in and out and help customers with recommendations. It's eight dollars an hour, and I need someone to cover the day shift."

Pursing my lips, I did the math. Not very much money, but what was money compared to happiness? I'd work during the day, which would leave evening free for my husband and children.

Walter obviously noticed my hesitation, because he quickly amended, "Though I could go higher for the right candidate."

I tapped my lips. "How much higher?"

"Nine?" he asked tentatively.

Raising my brows, I kept silent.

"Okay, ten. But that's as high as I can go. I'm not God here. I'm just the manager." He stuck his hand out in front of me.