Chapter 2

Jayce released a distinct noise of distress, attempting to push himself upright with his renewed strength.

"Woah there little one, calm, you are safe here no harm will come to you" The Prince, Kairo, pushed him back down onto the bed, shooting a look to the other man, "Leave us."

Jayce watched the man hurry from the room and looked back to the prince.

"I'm sorry-" He choked out, "Didn't mean to cross the border" Jayce whined, and Kairo sighed, running his fingers through Jayce's silky and freshly washed hair. 

"Come now little mate, no one is angry, you are not in trouble" He soothed, rich voice rushing all over Jayce's nerves like honey.

None-the-less, Jace trembled.  

This man was a god among vampires, tall dark and gorgeous, and Jayce was nothing but a tiny useless runt.

"Sweet, you need to rest, this stress is not good for you, you have traveled far and we are glad you have come, I will protect you now" His soothing baritones ran over Jayce's frayed nerved. "Rest now, and soon we will talk, we have much to discuss and I have much to arrange while you sleep, I wish I could stay here to watch over you but I am going to leave you in good hands"

Jayce sunk further into the cushioned bed, feeling like a wave of exhaustion had washed over him and there was nothing he could do but mumble out an agreement. It was clear that Kairo had used some kind of power to get him to sleep, but even he could not be mad.

And so, with the feeling of hands easing through his hair, Jayce slept.

Hours later as the sun was setting, he finally woke, grumbling and pushing himself upright as he looked around the huge room and rubbed the sleep from his eyes.

The source of light in the plush room appeared to come from a grand, roaring fireplace on the other side of the room where a semi-lounge suite was set up. The bed which Jayce had slept was ridiculously grand, with bedposts and draping curtains and rich mahogany and deep blood reds, the colour made Jayce all too aware of his burning hunger. 

When had he last fed? In fact, how long had he even been here now?

Slowly, carefully, he pushed himself out of his bed, holding his breath unnecessarily as his bare feet touched the fluffy carpet of the floor. The comfort of it all took him momentarily by surprise, and he couldn't help but feel oddly delighted by it all.

"I am glad you find my home to your liking" Kairo's deep voice came as he entered the room through a set of double doors, Jayce startled a little bit and stared at the man with wide eyes.

Kairo chuckled and offered the smaller man his hand, which Jayce took with a little hesitancy, and led them to the couches. It was then that the younger noticed the fresh glass bottles of blood, and his hunger reared it's nasty head.

"I can feel your thirst, drink, as much as you need, after that I can show you around the place. I do not want you to feel trapped and restricted, you may come and go from your room and this castle as you please" Kairo nodded encouragingly, having seated Jayce like he was the one who was royalty.

"Th-thank you" Jayce stuttered, taking a bottle as calmly as he could and drinking carefully. 

"I am sure you have a lot of questions, I want you to know that I will happily answer them all for you. As for your questions about mating, nothing will happen until you are ready and comfortable. I want you to get to know me first, and I you, before any decisions are made." Kairo sat back in the sofa, seated next to Jayce, and Jayce curled up while watching, drinking and listening. 

He barely knew the prince and already he was beginning to realize how many layers there just may be to the man, and how much he would have to learn.

"I myself have many questions for you, including ones from the kingdom advisors, the king and queen themselves, and the guard. I didn't want to overwhelm you, so I hope you don't mind that I will ask the questions for them and selfishly keep you for myself" Kairo smiled indulgently at Jayce, and the youngerstruggled not to giggle as he finished the bottle.

It was more blood than he was used to being allowed, and so he felt just a little blood drunk and smiled dazidly up at the prince.

"Sweet, are you okay there?" Kairo asked, concerned by Jayce's reaction to a single bottle of blood.

"I'm good! Good, um, just not used to so much blood?" He giggled a little, trying and failing to be serious.

Kairo held in a growl, a single bottle was what most of them consumed daily, and he had brought Jayce several bottles due to the state they had found him in and how long it must have been since he last fed, and he was blood drunk from a single bottle.

The Iden coven was going to pay dearly, Kairo would make sure of that himself.

If only Jayce knew, in that moment, of the storm swirling perilously above, so close to finding it's way to ground.