Chapter Nine

Harry sat me down on a chair at the top of Gryffindor tower. He turned to me and said, "Stay here, I'm going to get Ron and Hermione." He turned and walked out of the door. A few minutes later, a girl, whom I assume to be Hermione, walked in. She said hello, extended her hand and introduced herself.    I did the same.

"So, Nova, are you going to the ball. And I don't mean to force this on you, I just... it's just nice being able to talk to a girl for once." Hermione added the last part very quickly.

"Yes, I am going to the ball. What about you?"

"Do you know Cormac? Well we are going together, though I don't really like him. I just want to annoy somebody" Hermione said almost sadly. Ron and Harry came into the room.

"I'm Ron Weasley" He extended a hand, just as Hermione did.

"Nova Snape" I shook his hand. He looked puzzled.

"Nova... nova... isn't a supernova what happens when a star explodes?" Ron asked me.

"Yes it is. Nobody has ever made that connection. So yes, I am named after the explosion of a star." I finished with a smile. I love the fact that I am named after something that is deadly, yet beautiful.

"I heard Snape talking to Draco, he has some sort of mission and Snape wants to help him but Draco won't let him. He says he was 'chosen'. Have any idea what this means?" Harry asked me.

"Well, there was a Death Eater meeting at the manor over break. Ever since then Mrs. Malfoy has been really clingy towards hi,. And with the whole 'I don’t need help' thing, Draco says that to me almost every time I offer my help with something." I answered, sinking back further into my chair.

"Well, maybe Voldemort told Draco to do something and Snape wants to do it." Hermione spoke.

"Wouldn't that make Draco a Death Eater now then too?" Ron asked.

"Well that would explain why I want to kill him." Harry said with a shudder.

"Look, Harry, just because he's a Death Eater, doesn't mean you have the right to kill him. That goes for all Voldemort's followers." Said Hermione in a soothing way.

"Voldemort killed my parents!" Harry shouted.

"He killed my parents too, Harry." I said smoothly, "But you don't see me running around killing every Death eater I see" I looked at the time and it was getting close to dinner. I still had work to finish!

"Look, I appreciate all the things you told me today, but I really need to leave now." I turned to walk out the door when I remembered something. "Hermione would it be okay if we get ready for the ball together?"

"Of course Nova!" Hermione said with a genuine smile. "Come to the portrait hole at 4:30, okay?"

"Okay," I said and turned on my heel and walked down the stairs. All the Gryffindors in the common room gave me dirty looks as I passed. Well screw you too! I continued. I left the common room and started walking down the hall. I turned down the tight corridor leading to the dungeon, Slytherin common room. I noticed a thread hanging off of my robes so I grabbed it and started pulling at it. I wasn't paying too much attention to where I was going, and I ended up face planting into a wall...

I continued walking down the hall, this time holding my nose instead, and went into the common room. I went up to my dorm and grabbed my work. I decided to work outside... I changed into skinny jeans and a long sleeved shirt. I walked back down the stairs and out of the common room.  I continued to walk down the hall when I heard a gasp, then shuffling feet. I sharply turned my head to see a Neville Longbottom hiding behind a suit of armor. Are people really that afraid of me?

"Neville?" I asked sweetly. "Why are you hiding from me?"

"I... You... You looked like you were in a bad mood..." He stuttered, then let his voice trail off. Did I look that mean? Well then...

"Just continue whatever the hell you were doing. I'm sorry I scared you." I said then walked away. I didn't want any part of people today. Not after the whole Draco-is trying-to-kill-us theory.

I walked down the stone steps to my bench. I Sat and pulled out my work.

I worked until it started to get dark. I packed my things and started my trek back to my dorm. I walked the halls silently and swiftly. I muttered the password and entered the common room. There were a ton of people there. As I tried to walk by without being noticed, an arm gripped mine and pulled me into the sea of people.

"You didn't come to the Quidditch game, Nova." Said a voice. I didn't care who it was, I ripped my arm free of theirs, and ran to my dorm. I decided to turn in early. Dumbledore had mentioned that we don't have classed tomorrow, so we can prepare for the ball. I was going to go to bed early so I could get a lot of sleep and still get up early. I crawled into bed and fell asleep instantly.