Chapter Five: Silence

Chapter 5: Silence

All was quiet and then suddenly a strange tapping noise broke through the air. Part of my brain wondered what it was and the other was scared stiff. Then suddenly I heard mutters, very low that were hard to register.

"Crap, hide them." Someone whispered in the dark. "They are coming."

Then suddenly a crack pierced the air, making me jump. Unexpectedly it went dark very fast, to fast. With a shock I realised we were underground, hiding from someone or something.

"Oh no." Aria mumbled in the darkness.

"What?" I whispered back, my voice cracking in places it never has before.

"Jump on my bed I have a light." Veronica whispered, making me jump once again.

"Okay." I replied, jumping down from my top bunk, stumbling toward the dim light.

"What's wrong?" Monique asked once she saw Aria's face.

"The Queens army must be doing their 'weekly' checks." Aria told us, scared.

"Of what? Why? Huh?" Beck asked, confused for once, I almost laughed.

"To make sure that no one is plotting against her and her regime." Veronica replied.

"Why are we down here and why are they still up there?" Monique asked almost in tears.

"What about the plans?" I gasped, remembered what I was shown earlier today.

"They are down here with us." Veronica said trying to make a comforting face. "We are down here because they are pretending to be having an "mm" before they leave on a "men's" trip."

"What's "mm?"" Monique asked just as confused as me. "Sounds like something on my game.

"It means Men's Meeting, Babit owns a Magazine called men's monthly and they are pretending to get ready for a fishing trip. Good Cover up story when you need one. All through the trip all the weapons will be hidden in our tent and when the soldiers come all we have to do is hide underground, which is a synch cause we have the cousins and Prince who can move earth. But they do have some though; you have to carry a couple, Regulations." She muttered quietly.

"Is there any food?" I asked as my stomach rumbled, making my point clearer.

"Sure, here you go." Veronica smiled while handing everyone a lump of some brown thing.

"What is it?" Mini and Beck asked looking at there pieces with disgust clear on their faces.

"It is unleavened bread. We make it a bit different to you but it tastes almost the same and it tastes quiet nice with Sunshine." She said.

"A tiny problem with sunshine, WE'RE UNDERGROUND!" I whispered loudly, annoyance breaking through.

"Shush. It is very much like your butter but made out of another plant and doesn't need to be cooled." She told me handing me a little package of something.

I looked at the package for a little while, then opened it and touched the very tip of my tongue to the bright yellow mush. It tasted quite nice so I put some and my bread and ate it.

When my mouth was empty, I apologised to Veronica. "Thanks, sorry I whisper-yelled at you before."

"That's quite ok." Veronica replied patting me on the head. "Now let's go back to sleep but all on my bed okay?"

"Okay." We mumbled back, to tired to make other alternatives.

She pulled around the drapes around us, said goodnight, and turned of the dim light making everything pitch black.

"Why the drapes?" I mumbled half asleep already.

"Just a precaution, we can see out but no one can see us." Aria told me with a sneaky grin. "Ill stay awake, you sleep, I only need about 1 hour to keep going."

"Lucky you." I muttered almost under the grips of unconsciousness. She laughed quietly.

"Night." Everyone muttered to each other.

I snuggled in between Monique and Rebecca and fell asleep almost instantly.

Thank you god, I can sleep. And what a wonderful sleep, magical dreams, all the worry's gone, well except for one. Even in unconsciousness, I still remembered the pain this must be causing my mum right now. Oh well I will deal with it later...