Chapter 5

I was in the kitchen eating cereal when my dad walked in. His jaw instantly dropped when he noticed me sitting at the table.

“Hi dad.”

“You’re up early.” It seemed more like he was talking to himself than to me. “Any ways…” He cleared his throat getting serious again. “I need to meet with you after school. We have serious things to discuss.”

I just stared at him as I slowly ate my cereal. He once again cleared his throat and walked back out of the kitchen. I won’t lie. I’m not in a very good mood today. I quickly finished so that I could leave before my mom and Nick would come down. Walking seemed like a good way to pass the extra time I had.

After a great walk to clear my mind I ran into the last person I wanted to see, Mason. As soon as he spotted me I turned on my heel to walk away. I wasn’t fast enough. He grabbed my arm and spun me around to face him.

“Cassie, just hear me out.”

“What’s there to say?”

“Look I’m sorry. I didn’t know you liked me.” My eyes went wide as I heard him. Who the hell told him that?

“So what? I liked you. Crush over. Leave me alone.” I shook my arm away from him and pushed through the other students to get as much distance between us as I could.

Who the hell told him that? I didn’t even know I liked him for sure until I came back from Hungary. I didn’t even tell Nick that I thought I was starting to like him before I left. Racking my brain I didn’t pay attention until I ran right into another girl.

“Watch it!” She growled out at me.

I growled back and got up dusting myself off.

“It’s a two way street bimbo.” I bumped her as I kept walking to my class. I did not miss this high school at all.

Walking into my first class I frowned. There was my brother and Raven lip locked in the front of the class. Instead of causing a scene I walked to the back of the class ignoring them. Today was going to be a long day.

After school I climbed into the front seat of my mom’s car while Nick and Raven climbed in the back. Oh yeah Raven was coming over today. Yay me!

“How was your first day back sweetie?” She asked hopefully.

“How you can fit so many air headed bimbos into one building is amazing to me.” I looked out of the window as she put the car into drive and started on our way home.

“Cassie.” Not answering that. “Cassie I know you hear me.” I turned around to face my traitorous brother with a glare.

“Oh I exist now do I? Well sorry to tell you that I don’t care about what you have to say. Just suck face with your girlfriend and leave me alone.”

The rest of the ride was quiet. As soon as we pulled into the driveway I jumped out of the car before the car even came to a complete stop. I ran into the house but was stopped by my dad.

“Let’s have that talk now.” I sighed heavily but followed him to his office.

I stood by the door trying to leave as soon as possible after he tells me whatever he had to say.

“Cassie why don’t you take a seat.”

“I’ll stand. What do you want to talk to me about?”

He took in a sharp breath before he looked at me with a hard look. “We need to talk about your new responsibilities…” He held his hand up as I tried to interrupt him. “You and your brother are my new betas since John stepped down last week.”

This can’t be happening. Was he really going to make me beta? Is that why he brought me back home? My mind was swirling with so many emotions before I finally got them under control.

“So if I’m a beta does that mean that I’ll actually know what’s going on?”

“Of course. Why do you ask?”

“I’ve been in the dark my whole life but now you put me in a position of power when I come back from uncle Darrius.” I gave him a questioning look and he let off a growl in his chest.

“Are you questioning my motives?” I nodded to give him my response.

He got up from his seat hastily but I held my ground as he walked over to me. He stood over me looking down angrily but I didn’t budge. Derrick was way scarier, even if I was never on the receiving end of his anger.

“So you go with him and you’re tough?” I nodded again with a smug smirk on my face.

He punched the wall next to my head but I didn’t flinch. It’s too bad Nick wouldn’t take over for a few more years, my dad lost his touch. He looked at me irritated before he backed off.

“Do you want to go back?” He meant it as a threat but I smiled and nodded my head yes.

“Too bad. This is your home and whether you like it or not, you’re my new beta. Now get out of my office.”

I left and went up to my room. I don’t want to be the beta for a weak alpha, even if that alpha is my dad. I heard a knock on my door but didn’t answer. I knew it was Nick. He knocked a few more times before he slid down the door and stayed there.

I walked over to the door and did the same, knowing our backs were facing each other.

“Cassie, I know I messed up. I miss you. I was just worried about how you would take it.” I thought back to our car ride home from the airport when he seemed worried.

“You know as twins it’s optimal if we are best friends.” I laughed and shook my head.

“Are you sure it has nothing to do with our beta jobs?” He sighed and I knew that even he didn’t want to have the job.

“I don’t care about being a beta. I just want my sister back.” I cleared my throat to stop the tears that wanted to fall. I couldn’t stay mad at him forever.

I opened the door and smiled when I saw a grin plastered across his face. He swung me around in his arms just like he used to do before I left.