Chapter 1: Different

Chapter 1:

   The scenery passed as our car sped out of the big city that used to be my home. The small two room apartment was emptied into the back of a big moving truck and the back of our small Ford Focus. I sighed as I propped my feet up on the dash board and popped my head phones in my ears. The music surrounded me as my eyes got heavy.

   I entered though the door and threw my bag onto the floor.  I walked to the living room to find mom sitting in the middle of the floor surrounded by full and empty boxes. Her face wrinkled as her blue eyes focused on the task at hand. Her brown hair was pulled back into a sloppy bun hinting that she's been working or cleaning all day.

   "What's going on?" I said. Her eyes met mine. I flicked a piece of my brown and purple ombre hair unconsciously. She sighed.

   "Where moving." She said slowly. I shrugged.

   "Where?" Her focused expression was replaced by shock.

   "Diable, Michigan."

   "Okay when are-"

   "Your not mad?" She said interrupting me. Honestly I could care less. I was practically a nobody at school. People would run into me not noticing I was there and ask me if "I was new here", and most times it was the same people who asked over and over. I tried making friends, trust me I had, but that all back fired in my face.

    "No, I'm kind of happy. You know, a new start and all." I said sitting on the small couch in front of her.

    "Okay," she said hesitantly "Why don't you go pack up your room. Just leave all the big furniture for the movers."

    "Alright." I grabbed a few boxes and walked down the long dark hallway to my room. I opened my door to my light and dark purple room. Shelfs, pictures, and my art scattered the walls and my bed was tucked into a small corner with my desk in the opposite corner. I started grabbing candles, books, picture frames, and other personal belongings.

    I stood back and looked at what I had accomplished. The room was completely bare except for my bed and the desk. Boxes and suitcases filled the hallway infront of my room.

    "Scarlet, diner." My mom said from the kitchen.

    "Coming." I said while stumbling and tripping over boxes and other various objects.

    "You hungry?"she said spooning out pasta.

    "Not really." I said sitting at the table.

    "So when are we leaving?" I added.

    "Tomorrow night." She said sitting the bowl in front of me.

   "Scarlet, Scarlet honey wake up. We're here." I opened my eyes just in time to see the town sign.

    Diable, Michigan

    Pop. 450

   "Only 450 people?!" I said as the road darkened by the shade of the trees surrounding us.

   "Yah, I know honey. There's a new Barnes and Noble opening up down here and my manager wants me to be the boss of this location. I'm sorry. I should of told you."

   "Oh my gosh. This wouldn't even be qualified as a town it's a fricking village!"

   "Calm down. Be nice." She said sternly. We drove down a street labeled Main Street. It was splattered with random boutiques, food stores, ect.