Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

Windsor

I had just left my dorm room not bothering to unpack or wait for my roommate, I had better things to do. First of all being new was hard, not knowing anyone was worse. But I didn't care, or at least I wouldn't let anyone see that I did.

Thoughts of not wanting to be here swirled in my head and I did nothing to banish them. I really didn't want to be here, but my parents had saved their entire life savings just so I could go here and I couldn't just screw up and get kicked out or we'd be as poor as we were before for nothing. "If you go here, you'll be able to go to a good college and get a career." my father answered. 'Yeah, but how would we pay for college?' I thought to myself.

I was walking down the hallway when I saw a small group of kids laughing further down. I continued cautiously, not sure what they were doing when I saw the bag of weed in their hand. As I got nearer, I hurried by hoping they wouldn't notice me but no such luck. One of them stopped me, obviously high.

"You know where we could use this stuff?" he motioned to the bag. "The janitor made us get out of the History Class."

"And he didn't notice?" I questioned. If that janitor didn't notice these kids were doing drugs, then he must be really out of it.

"Kenton!" one of the kids shouted, motioning to a room. "This one isn't taken." said another. Then the kid named Kenton grabbed me and dragged me with him to the room while I had no intention of doing drugs. I tried to escape but he forced my head down and whispered in my ear, "You're not going anywhere."

"I'm not smoking pot." I said through gritted teeth.

"You get away and snitch, we'll fuck you up!" he snarled in my ear. I had no intention of snitching but sighed and stayed anyway, deciding it wouldn't be worth the trouble. If they passed the joint to me, maybe I could just pretend to smoke it and they wouldn't notice. They were pretty fried anyway.

When we got in the lights were on and I noticed a boy just sitting there on one of the beds and I couldn't help but notice how lonely he looked. Well not really lonely, more like he knew he was alone and he didn't know what to do about it. But when I saw the guys advance towards him I sort of hang back not knowing what they were going to do and not wanting to do it anyway.

"Move." a really short guy told him. He was looking down on him, something i'm sure he wasn't used to doing.

"This is my room." the boy told him but when he said it, it sounded more like, "Zis is my rrroom."

"And now we're going to use it you stupid Russian commie!" Kenton spat. The boy's eyes darkened with anger, the first hint of emotion he showed, and he clearly did not take kindly to being called a "stupid Russian commie." He still didn't move.

"Ok thats it!" Kenton snarled. He charged towards the Russian boy and got major shock. He had stood up when he saw Kenton coming towards him and was about a foot taller than him. Kenton stopped in his tracks, unsure of what to do next. The guy who had called Kenton to the room punched the Russian boy, but the boy caught his fist before it reached his shoulder. There was a moment where everyone was absolutely still, until the boy twisted his arm around and kicked him to the ground. The rest of the guys scrambled, knowing better than to challenge the tall Russian boy who could kick all of their butts. I could practically feel the air rush by me as they ran through the door. Before I left, I turned around to see the boy give me a questioning look as if he were trying to decipher my motives.

"Um, uh, sorry about that." I said awkwardly. I then exited the dorm.

                                                                Dimitri