Chapter 1

Chapter 1

            I made my way back to Kohona, the place that had been my home since I was an infant. The tree branches gently bent under my feet with each step, quietly carrying me back to my home. News had reached me that the Hokage needed me urgently. I sighed deeply, wondering what new mission I might be undertaking this time. I was only a young Chunin, but the Hokage knew very well I could take care of myself, so I was never really assigned to a team.

            The gates opened for me as soon as I reached them. My cousin, Hiroki, called down to me as I entered, “Welcome home, Chika!”

            I smiled up at him briefly before I headed in the direction of the Hokage’s. Everyone was quiet for a bit as I passed. I wondered why.

******

            I took a double take, looking at the Hokage. “What happened?” Maybe asking again would make it a thousand times less real than it was.

            The Hokage’s usually smiling face looked rather grim. “Your home burned down, Chika. Some of the children were playing, and there was an accident. Your clothing and some other items were able to be saved. We couldn’t save it all, however, so most of it was destroyed in the blaze. We were lucky enough that none of the other homes caught fire.” He sighed. “I’m very sorry, my dear.

            I had to sit down. “Well... Thank you, Hokage, for saving what could be saved. I appreciate it.”

            “That’s the spirit. Now, I’ve arranged for a place where you can stay.” He smiled. “After all, I wouldn’t want you to be sleeping outside.” The Hokage paused for a second. “Kakashi, come in, please.”

            At that moment, Kakashi Hatake walked into the office room. The book was in his back pocket, as it often was. He smiled…or I at least thought he did. “Good afternoon, Chika, Hokage.”

            I looked over at Kakashi and then back to the Hokage, a bit confused.

            “Chika, you will be staying with Kakashi until I can arrange to have your home rebuilt for you. Is that alright?” The Hokage eyeballed me. I knew well enough that no wasn’t going to be an answer.

            I sighed internally, having not lived with anyone since my aunt’s passing around five years ago. I wondered how this would work out. “Yes, Hokage. I’m glad I’ll have a place to sleep. Thank you.” I smiled, but inside, this wasn’t what I wanted to come home to at all.

******

            As Kakashi walked with me in the direction of his home, I asked if we could take a quick detour so I could see the wreckage of my old home. I was really more concerned about this locket I’d had since I was a kid. I hoped it had survived.

            He nodded and took me to the wreckage.

            It looked horrible. It was mostly ashes except for some bits that were barely standing. It made me sick just looking at it. I couldn’t see a trace of the locket anywhere, which scared me more than anything right now.

            “I’m sorry about this happening to your home.” He pulled an object from his pocket. “I did find this, though, when I was searching for any remains.” He revealed a silver locket to me with the letters “I.C.” engraved in the metal.

            My eyes widened as I saw it. “My locket?” I took it as he handed it to me.

            “I found it and figured it must be important, so I put it in my pocket.”

            “Well, thank you.” I hugged him.

            He smiled. “We should go ahead and get to the house so I can show you around, and then tomorrow, you can help me out with my team.”

******

            The inside of Kakashi’s house was fairly nice, sparsely decorated as I would have expected. He led me around the house, explaining where everything was. He even showed me where all the food was located, in case I got hungry at any point. He told me that my room was right across from his if I needed anything. I thanked him, especially after realizing that all of my stuff was already moved into the cute little bedroom. He then told me he would be in the living room and to let him know if I needed something.

            I sat on the bed and opened the locket to make sure it was all intact. There was a picture of Itachi and I as kids; we were grinning, one arm over each other’s shoulder. We had been best friends at the time and were almost inseparable, even though I wasn’t the same level ninja as he was and I was Sasuke’s age. On the other side of the locket, there was a picture of Itachi. We both had lockets just like mine, except his had a picture of me on the other side. This was before it all went bad.

            I shouldn’t have kept the locket. I should have thrown it away immediately, but something in me just couldn’t let it go. I know he massacred a whole clan, but I’m not exactly perfect enough to get rid of one of my few memories left of him.

            I closed the locket and put it around my neck, tucking it in my top. I then briefly looked in the mirror, checking on my bluish hair. The ponytail was just as I’d left it, not a strand out of place. My blue eyes didn’t reveal anything that I didn’t want them to. At least I didn’t look like a mess. I had hoped Kakashi hadn’t picked up on my emotions.

******

            A couple hours later, Kakashi and I were having dinner, although I couldn’t remember what we were eating. He was talking to me about his team for the most part. He asked a few questions about me and what kind of missions I’d undertook in the past. I knew of Sakura and Naruto vaguely.

            That’s when he mentioned Sasuke Uchiha. Something in me stopped.

            I hadn’t really spoken to Sasuke since…well…the incident. Things could either turn out good or bad with meeting him again. I didn’t let Kakashi know that, though.