2 - The Boy Behind

I woke up in a humid room, the walls were painted in ivory, so is the ceiling. A glow in the dark crucifix hung at the other side of the room, facing the bed where I lied as Jesus Christ stared down at me in pity and agony and love. I raised my left hand and saw a needle pierced through my skin.

Goosebumps. I really hated needles and syringes.

"Brianne! You're awake!" a soft tone with a hint of worriedness called from my side. It was mon, and she has tears at the corner of her eyes.

"Mom? What happened?" I asked, feeling my temples ache as I tried to remember how I made myself lying in this comfy hospital bed.

"You suffered ulcer and fell unconscious on the ground. You were shivering in cold when a boy brought you home. When your temperature raised at thirty-nine degrees, we decided to rush you to the hospital, you really worried me, darling!" said Mom swallowing back her tears.

My face lightened upon seeing how my Mom worried over me for such a simple ulcer. I'm happy, which is quite ironic.

The door suddenly swung open, and Errol and Dad came in barging. "Hey there, sleepy head. How does it feel keeping your eyes shut for more than twenty-four hours? I'm sure you stacked enough morning glories, aye?" my oppa (big brother), Errol, said jokingly as he walked beside me, placing a basket of assorted fruits at the side table.

"Don't blame me. I tried waking you up but you wouldn't even raise your lids for a second," he then added, leaning down and patted my head as though I was some breed of a puppy.

"You worried us, pumpkin. Please don't do it again," seconded Dad in his baritone voice, his face looking problematic as Mom's.

I whined. "Nah, c'mon people of the Oh family! I can't bear seeing your faces like that! I'm still alive and kicking, see?" I said as I spread my arms, asking for their warm hugs. Dad and Mom instantly leaned down and gave me a tight hug. While Errol remained standing, looking at us.

"Psh! What a cheesy little kid," he mumbled. He went to the couch and took his iPhone from his pocket and played with it. His cheeks turning crimson red.

"What a timid little boy!" I retorted. Errol won't be my oppa if he would hug me back. He'll just sit there without making any sound, but I know the bottom of his heart. And he loves his little sister.

Days flew with the wind as if nothing has happened. After another twenty-four hours of being monitored by the doctor, I'm finally getting out of the hospital. I'm quite sad, I know I'll be missing the comfy and tacky bed and now that I'm out, I guess I'll continue my postponed struggle with my studies. And voila! That whole Grim Reaper thingy still remained mystery to me.

I was in the middle of packing my things up when I suddenly felt a gush of wind. I shivered, it's still seven in the morning and I can feel the winter approaching. I turned around but to my dismay, I saw the windows closed and locked tightly, so is the comfort room's door, and the main entry to my room.

"Okay, w-what was that?"  I whispered to myself, trying to calm my thoughts which is starting to race. I shrugged it off and continued packing up but suddenly, I felt a chill at my nape. The chill was almost the same as  to what I've felt that rainy night when the Reaper showed itself to me.

I didn't move a muscle. And a bunch of negative thoughts registered on my mind. I felt the chill once more, as if some dead man who managed to walk again whispered at my neck. Still, I didn't took motion.

Oh, God.

Suddenly, the vase fell forcefully on the floor, although I can clearly remember Mom placed it in the middle of the table. Dirt and stones and dust scattered all over the floor. The cracking sound of the glass caused me to jump in fear.