1 - The Reaper and It's Apprentice

The bell finally rang, jolting me before I would slump on my desk and fall in a deep dreamless sleep. That's how boring my History teacher could get. Well, I really am not interested at it, so maybe that adds up to the boring factor the subject brought me.

I finally stood up from my chair as a few of my classmates went out, going somewhere fun they could hang out before heading back at their home.  I was not that type, so I somewhat walked the hallway, alone. Before finally stepping out of the building, I hesitantly took a glance at a group of students who used to be my friends. They were always like that, being the social chic, surrounded by boys all the time, making fun, "social" conversations. Again, I was not like that. I find it hard keeping up with them and that's how I lost them--- as friends. Only left with books, paper, a pen, and a handful of wild imagination.

I pressed my phone, occasionally lighting up the LCD screen, and showed a picture of my brother's sleeping face with his drool dripping down to his neck. I chortled by the thought how me and my big brother are extremely close with each other. Well, siblings should be, right?

We're  four in the family, Dad, Mom, Errol, and me. We were living in Manila until the day we moved here, in Seoul, South Korea. My Mom is a pure-blooded Filipino while Dad is Canadian-Korean.

It was already four in the afternoon but the sky seemed to display a different face of the day. The vast was dark and clouds loomed altogether, predicting a downpour of storm. As I walk pass the school gates, an abrupt unusual sensation halted me. The mysterious force seems to twist my stomach, almost making me want to throw up, other than that, everything was okay. Except for the weird bunch of clouds compressing at a certain place. Unlike any other clouds in the sky, this one looks darker, as if it buckets a lot of water than the others.

"You okay?" my train of thoughts stopped when someone stepped on the railway. I turned around to see a guy in uniform, with a blue cord hanging around his neck signifying that he came from the Historical Society. His ears popped at the sides as his whole face complemented with the cap he was wearing. I stared at his identification card and it reads; Sylvester Kim, Bachelor of Arts in History. First Year. Judging by his surname, I think he also has Korean blood running through his vessels.

"Not fair," sad he instantly lifting my identification card and stared at it intently. "Brianne Oh, Bachelor of Science in Psychology. First Year. College of Arts and Social Sciences. So that means, we are at the same college, right?" he beamed, plastering an all-teeth smile.

I wanted to roll my eyes and give him a you-don't-say look, but being educated and a well-mannered person, I said, "Yes, I think so. I guess we'll be seeing each other more often," and then manages to let out a smile despite the unbearable pain lurking inside my stomach.

"You okay?" Sylvester asked again, sounding and looking a bit worried as my face slowly contort in pain.

"Y-yeah, I'm fine. I guess I just skipped lunch," I said reassuringly, even though I know I'm not okay and it's not because I skipped meal. It's like someone was trying to twist my stomach open and tries to put something in it. If it's food, then I'd be glad. Still a no-no.

"You're not supposed to be doing that, do you want me to take you home?" he asked genuinely.

I shook my head, and flashed a smile at his kindness. "Thank you. But I can manage. Nice meeting you by the way," I said as I started walking limply, but fast, not giving him a chance to speak anymore.

"Are you sure?" he shouted. Ugh. I said I'm fine. Not. But I can handle myself. Not.

I just raised my right hand and signalled him an okay sign while my left gently caressess my aching stomach. There was no response from him after that, so I walked my way back home. It's just a walking distance from here and takes about twenty minutes. Taking a few meter steps, the rain finally poured. I instantly took my umbrella, opened it and felt the harsh fall of the rain against the protection. The raging wind blew on my face, feeling the chilling mist which seems to be in deep wanting of sharing it's grief to me. Okay,I'm getting exaggerated over here, it just rained, that's all.