Chapter 23

The mist spread throughout the clearing as the snake turned both its heads, searching for Yuzuyu. The only warning given was a low growl. The snake parted its heads as Yuzuyu jumped at them, missing her target completely. She turned to face the enemy, teeth bared and claws unsheathed. The snakes opened their mouths, setting long venom dripping fangs appearing.  “Don’t get bitten Yuzuyu!” Kagome yelled, causing Yuzuyu to roll her eyes. Koga made a step towards her and she turned her head and snarled at him, causing him to take a step back instead. The snake head chose that time to attack. Without looking Yuzuyu swung her paw at its faces, causing them both to snap to the side and leaving one with bloody claw marks across its face.

       Both snakes hissed and then…something happened. The snake split and became separate bodies. “Oh shit! I am good!” the Shadow man exclaimed. Both snakes attacked and Yuzuyu fought on. Not allowing anyone to help her. Then, all of a sudden, one of the snakes slithered away. Not good. Yuzuyu thought still clawing and biting at the other snake. The snake lunged at Yuzuyu, who jumped to the side baring her fangs. As the snake sailed pass her she sank her teeth into its long body, tossing it across the clearing. Kagome and Sango winced at the sight of the blood running from Yuzuyu’s mouth. As Yuzuyu was about to give the final blow, the other snake sprung from the forest behind its partner, and before she could move out of the way, it bit into her shoulder blade, pumping poison into her blood stream and causing her to roar in pain and stagger backward. The others gasped in shock, Koga fought to stay in place.

       Yuzuyu’s breath became labored and she fell onto her side, panting. I…will not…go out…like this! Yuzuyu thought then began to push herself to her paws. With all the strength she could muster she stood on her hind legs, the uninjured snake before her, protecting its injured comrade. Yuzuyu’s eyes blazed with an inner fire and her claws grew longer. She raised her right paw and with a final roar brought it down, creating flames in the shape of her claws, consuming both snakes instantaneously. “Well…that’s my cue to leave.” The Shadow man vanished. Yuzuyu fell back onto her paws, her body shaking slightly then convulsing violently. Her body shifted back to her human form on her hands and knees. She looked at Koga and smiled weakly just before she collapsed; darkness and pain embracing her in its cold arms.

-Koga’s P.O.V-

       It was like moving in slow motion when Yuzuyu looked up at me and smiled. The sun was hitting her at the right angle, illuminating her face, making her look like a celestial being. Time sped up again as she collapsed, her bare body convulsing violently. I was frozen for half a second before I ran to her side ahead of anyone else. I didn’t feel right seeing her this way…well who would with others looking? “Mutt! Give me the robe!” I yelled over my shoulder. Surprisingly he didn’t argue back, he just took the robe off and threw it at me. I caught it and lifted Yuzuyu’s shaking body into my arms, wrapping the red cloth around her, holding her close. That’s when I realized that everyone had surrounded me.

       Yuzuyu’s body stopped its violent rage and her breathing was shallow. “Yuzuyu, open your eyes, please.” I begged silently. “Her aura is fading.” Inuyasha whispered to no one in particular. “Cut my leg.” I told him holding my leg out. He gave me a confused look. “The shard mutt! The shard!” Comprehension dawned and he sank his nails into the flesh my leg. I winced as he dug the shard out and gave it to me. “What are you goanna do with it? You can’t purify the venom.” Inuyasha said. I looked at Kagome, pleading with her using my eyes. “Please?” “Why do you want her to live so much Koga? You didn’t give her a second glance when I introduced you to her to you.” “Because…she was there for me. I want her around so I could return the favor.”

       Kagome gave me a confused look before she held out her hand for the shard. I gave it to her gladly and took a deep breath. She placed the shard on the fang marks in Yuzuyu’s shoulder. Yuzuyu drew in a sharp breath as the shard sank into her skin. She expelled her breath and her breathing stopped, and then became normal. Seconds that fell like years passed before…