FINALE. ♛

C H A P T E R - 29

      “Well, I guess it’s time for us to say goodbye to everyone in Compton,” A.J. says. “Damn, I’mma miss it here, but at the same time I ain’t. It seemed like I’ve been here forever. Leaving is weird.” I agree with him. Leaving is the best decision we could make, but all of us have been here for almost our entire teen life.

     “I don’t think I wanna,” I reply. “It’s just gon’ make me more sad.”

      “You right. You excited for Chicago yet?” A.J. asks me. Chicago was probably one of the best decisions. It was close to my real home, and we knew people down there. I would visit my grandma and all my cousins first, and I try to find my old homegirls. . .

      “Hell yeah!” I exclaim. I lean against Reggie’s Dodge Charger. I was waiting for him to come home already so we could get a move on to Chicago. It was going to take an entire day to get down there. We had all our things shipped down to our hotel, so all we had to do was bring our cars down there, and we wouldn’t have to deal with Compton anymore.

      “I don’t know if I am, man. Something just gives me a weird ass feeling. I don’t know what it is. I ain’t trying to sound negative, but what if Chicago is worse than Compton? That’s almost impossible, but I’m just saying, though.”

     “I guess we shippin’ out again. You just gotta hope for the best, A.J. You’ve been here for all your life, right? It’s time to experience bigger and better. As long as we’ve been in Compton, it’s just been hell. I just think we deserve more.” I swallow hard, and felt myself getting emotional. You can’t cry, man. You doing this for the better.

      “Aye, Egypt. I got a question,” A.J. tells me. 

      “What’s that?” I ask him. He has a big ass grin on his face, so I know he tryna flirt with me again.

      “Do you want to be my girl?” I smile from ear to ear, even though I’m trying not to. I’m tryna front like I’m hard, but it’s not working. I couldn’t even lie, I wanted to be A.J.’s girl. I might as well been anyways. We always flirt, so why not?

     “Yeah, I guess. . .” I know I’m fronting, but it makes A.J. laugh. He knows I’m fronting, too. I bite my lip and try not to laugh anymore. 

      I saw Reggie and Rah walking up to the scene, and I was surprised they wanted to walk wherever they went because it was so damn hot outside. I could tell they didn’t care, because that’s just the type of people they were; careless.

      “Finally y’all came back. I’m ready to go,” I tell them. If we don’t leave fast enough, there’s going to people all over Compton trying to get in our business. I don’t feel like explaining this to no one, and I don’t feel like becoming sad. I just want to get it over with before I have time to actually think about it.

     “I know you is. We got down here as fast as we could. People sending for us again, so we might as well make our way down in the Chi. I’m done dodging bullets,” Rah tells me. I roll my eyes, because I’m annoyed. We had to be the most hated people in all of Compton, and getting out of here was one of the best decisions we’d ever make.

      “Alright. I’ll get in the car,” I get in the backseat of Reggie’s Charger, and A.J. gives me a disappointed look.

      “You don’t wanna ride with me?” He asks. I sigh playfully, because A.J. was so silly. I get out his car, and decide to ride with A.J. instead. We’d be trailing each other, but I think it’d be more fun if we all rode in the same car.

      I put my seatbelt on, and A.J. gets in and puts his keys in the car. I lay back in my seat and sigh deeply, and remember all the things that happened to me here. Meeting Serena. She fucked me over. Momma dying. Reggie getting shot. Meeting my best friends. Seeing my dad again for the first time in forever. Finding out secrets. Killing people. Selling drugs. Stealing. Now, the only plan I have becoming successful in Chicago is selling drugs. That ain’t no real job, but it will pay the bills, and it will keep me living a lavish life that I’ve always wanted for myself. And maybe my kids. . . one day.

      A.J. backs out of our old driveway, and eases onto the road. I take one good look at the street one last time, and take a look at my old house for one last time. Tears began rolling down my cheek, because now I’m truly upset. So much happened, it’s hard to just leave now. It feels like it’s been forever my home and that’s the way it needs to stay.

      I guess A.J. notices me upset, so he puts his hand on top of mine. “Are you okay?” He asks me, even though he knows I’m not. “Don’t cry. . . it’s all good. You won’t regret leaving,” he reassures me. He might be right, but now I’m reconsidering it.

       ♛ ♛ ♛ ♛ ♛

       To get something to eat, Reggie, Rah, A.J., and I stop by the nearest Burger King somewhere in Nevada. Even though we just started to drive, the guys needed a break and wanted to plan out our scheme a little more.

      Reggie brings out tray of food to our table and pass out our drinks. I wasn’t hungry, so I didn’t ask for much. “Egypt seems to be the mastermind to this entire plan.  What’s your plan about Chicago? How we gonna get the money quick?” Rah questions me.

      “I did my research at the library. Basically, Chicago got a very established drug trade down there. Reggie, you know some folks down in Cuba and Jamaica, so we can just get mass amounts of that shipped to Chicago on the down low. Rah, you know how to cook dope, so we got that too. Plus, we’re slick. We got this. We ain’t never got caught by the police before, and when we do, we get out of it,” I explain to them. These niggas were so hungry they was already finished with their burgers.

      “Damn, Egypt. You got this shit all figured out. Before you know it, you’ll become some typa trap queen,” A.J. jokes. I smile at him, cuz I don’t think I deserve that title yet. I’m still new at this drug trade shit, and Chicago’s a brand new start.

      To be real, I don’t know what goes down there.