Chapter Three

When school ended I didn’t feel up to anything but I decided to train. Changing from my school clothes to some shorts and a t-shirt I went downstairs.

“Working out?” Andrew called out. His shift was just about done.

“Yeah. I’m going for a run.”

“Don’t pass out.” He always said this. I ran extremely fast and for a long time too. Andrew always assumed that I would pass out from exertion.

Idiot boy. I’m not that weak.

I laughed and said, “Never.” Before running out the doors.

I turned left because there was more open space in that direction. Going right, would only take me to the center of the city and I didn’t want to be crowded.

Running was relaxing for me. I loved the feeling when I would walk after running and my legs would feel strong. It sounded weird but it felt good. I continued running till I got to the old factory. It was about 5 miles from the Dungeon so running back would make 10 miles. I wasn’t sweating mostly from the fact that I was used to this type of running but also because the weather was nice today. There were a few clouds but not enough to make it a cloudy day.

          Running back I focused on my legs moving; my subconsiounce was focused on my surroundings though. A sleek black car that I had seen outside the Dungeon was across the street.

Nobody else was around since there was nothing to do in this area of town. I paid no mind to the car as I ran. If somebody wanted to hurt me I could take them on.

I got home without incident but something made me turn my head in the direction I came from.

          On the street was a sleek black car parking. The same car I had seen while running. And I had a feeling I had seen it at school today too.

          I walked inside to finish my training on the punching bag ignoring the nagging feeling at the back of my head. My hands were a bit sore but at least they were covered by the gloves. I had a match today against someone called “Killer” and I needed to focus.

Ricks   POV:

 I had been reckless today. Thinking, that I could just waltz into her school to steal her records without being noticed, was stupid of me. I was planning on doing it in the night but figured I could just blend with the students.

          I could have also hacked their records on my computer but then I realized that her school was lacking of money and they couldn’t afford enough computers. So basically all records were written on paper.

I didn’t think she would see me but I knew she had. In those eyes I had seen suspicion. This was good. It meant that she knew something was wrong.      

She would be good for us. I had seen how defensive she had gotten as soon as she woke up in the gym. That was good too. I just hoped I could get her already.

But I knew I couldn’t. I had to wait. Wait for permission. In the meantime, I was going to observe her. From a distance and from close up. She was a good runner and tonight I was going to test how good of a fighter she was. I had seen her fight plenty of times and had recorded her too, but tonight she was going to get the fight of her life. I wasn’t holding back.

Carson’s POV:

I had been taking a nap when I felt myself being shaken. I sat up rubbing my eye.

“Is it time?”

“Almost you’ve got a half hour.”

“Thanks Ryder.”

“No problem. You’re gonna kill ‘em. Luck.” With that he left.

          Yesterday after my match with Smash; Ryder had updated me on who I was going to fight. His name was “Killer” but when we tried to find any record of him we came up blank. He was probably a rookie but I had a feeling he wasn’t; call it intuition but I had a bad feeling.

          My nap had rested me after my intensive workout. I got up and pulled on some shorts and a sports bra, along with my sneakers. I covered my tattoo up with some expensive tattoo cover up. I didn’t like anyone to see it. I tied up my hand and used some bobby pins to hold back any strays that could get into my eyes.

I took a sip of water from the glass on my bedside table. Picking up my jump rope I started my warm-up.

          Only the sound of the jump rope slashing the air could be heard. The half-moon marks on my hand were healing and didn’t sting so gripping the jump rope didn’t hurt. My feet were barley touching the floor at the speed I was going and only my toes touched the floor if I did. I stopped after I felt that I was fully awake and ready.

          I could hear the crowd already. I could pick out some words. Sometimes people called me Carson which was my stage name/ real name but others called me Dragon or D. It didn’t matter much to me. I was so used to it that sometimes I didn’t hear it. Dropping to the floor I did 30 pushups and 20 sit-ups followed by crunches.

          I stood and strapped on my black gloves. It was the same routine every day and I did it without needing to think about it. For some reason I always got nervous with was why I needed to jump up and down to let loose of my nerves.

Ryder’s voice on the mic announced times up.

“…Can we hear it for Dragon?!” Ryder switched my names all the times.

Tomorrow he would be calling me D for sure. Other than that everything went the same. I came out only to jump over the railing onto the floor below. My face was impassive as every time.

Nodding my head to Ryder I turned to the crowd.

“And her opponent Killer!”

Again the cheer erupted much quieter. I glanced up to the door only to freeze. No way.

                                                      ***