Chapter Twenty-nine - Sheila

Sheila wrapped the last chapter of her story in parchment and began printing the address of her editor in London on the front panel. She would send it to town with Kitty tomorrow. It was a relief to finally have the thing finished. With all that had happened over the last two weeks, she feared she would never be able to complete her manuscript. Between the move to a new location, Gideon's courtship and the problems associated with it, she had barely had time to put ink to paper.

Mr. Coombs had been quietly interred in the churchyard, near his family. Only Gideon and herself had stood at the graveside while the preacher performed last rights. No one else had attended. It was sad really. To live one's entire life in the same community and not have any friends or family there at the end to mourn his passing. At least Gideon had ensured the steward's burial, despite his dastardly misappropriation of the estates funds.

Mr. Beaumont had been able to salvage most of the financial records despite the attempt to destroy the books. Apparently the fire had barely begun to consume them when Gideon discovered the blaze and extinguished it. The audit had uncovered many discrepancies going back at least ten years, just as Gideon had suspected. It would take as many years to recoup the losses and bring the estate back to it's former glory. If not for the treasures hidden away in that hidden cave, there would be no hope of salvaging his inheritance.

That was the task Gideon had set for himself today. To open up the brick wall and assess the treasures hidden inside. She suspected he would require some time alone to process all the emotional turmoil churned up by many of the sentimental articles, so she had left him to the job with his promise to come down and fetch her when he was ready to document everything. To distract herself and help pass the time she had set herself down and completed her final chapter.

She finished addressing the package and was blotting the ink when there came a knock at the door. Thinking it to be Kitty, she called for the young maid to enter. The door opened but she was concentrating on her task and did not look up to confirm who stood in the doorway.

"It's finally ready, Kitty. You can deliver this to the post tomorrow when you go into the village." Satisfied that the address was now dry and still legible, she set aside the blotting sheet and glanced up to smile at the maid. But it wasn't Kitty who stood in the doorway.

Gideon blocked the open doorway, his garments dusty and wrinkled, his dark hair sparkled with cobwebs. There was even dirt smudged on his dimpled chin. In his hands he carried a small letterbox, obviously very fine in construction but just as obviously damaged.

"Oh, Gideon." She started with surprise.

"I believe I now know where Coombs' bullet went." He entered the room and moved to where she sat at the desk.

Anticipating his action, she moved her manuscript to the far side of the desk to make room. He set the box down and pointed out the neat hole through the brass lock on the front of the wooden box. Even to her it was obviously a bullet hole.

"The bullet is lodged in the brass." He explained. "That's why we heard nothing."

"Have you looked inside?"

In answer he lifted back the lid to reveal several letters nestled inside. Each one folded neatly and piled, one on top of the other. Sheila leaned forward to get a closer look. The first page had Gideon's name and a date from thirty-five years ago, written in a bold, masculine hand.

"They are addressed to you." She glanced up at him, silently seeking permission. He nodded solemnly and she lifted out the first sheet.

The paper was old and the ink faded but still legible. As she unfolded the page her eyes drifted over the script, skimming over the words to the signature. Her eyes widened with surprise, then darted up to meet his.