1 | I'm Getting Married

Present Day       

"I think Cameron's gonna propose." I blurted out in the middle of locking up the family shop.        

Amara was always a relatively collected person. That was what really drew me to her during college. I was constantly losing my mind over papers and exams and she always seemed so detached from things in just the right way. So I didn't expect much of a reaction at my announcement. She only rose her eyebrows very slightly as she locked the front door to my family's shop, and gave a final tug on the handle. She turned to face me and played with the keys for a moment. "You think you're getting engaged."

"That's right, and there are signs." I replied enthusiastically and beyond ready to defend my case.

"All right," she handed me the keys, which I immediately threw into my old straw tote, "tell me these so-called signs while we walk to the car."

"Well, first," I walked at an angle in front of her and held out a finger, "Cam's been really jumpy lately. Like he's been asking me about how I feel about him and us, but not in like a scary way. In a sweet way. Must be because he wants to see if I'm ready to get engaged, since it's a really big next step."

"Okay. Next."

"Reason two!" I held out another finger. "Suddenly he's gotten really particular about his budget, which could be because he's planning on getting me a ring."

"Right."

"Reason three!" I held out a third finger. "I was using our laptop and checked the history, and I found that he was checking out engagement rings. That, and he was looking into booking a flight to New York City, which is maybe where he wants to hold the reception or something, I don't know yet. But there's definitely a nice surprise in the works."

Amara remained expressionless and seemed unconvinced. But somehow there seemed like there was something tense about her, maybe in the face. She avoided eye contact. I held onto her arm as we walked and I tried to think about what was off about the moment. Maybe she needed more evidence. I perked up. "Plus, I looked through some of his e-mails, too, and he's got a lot addressed to Hannah."

Amara looked at me. "Hannah?"

My excitement was revitalized. I gave her arm a little squeeze. "I know, I wouldn't expect it either, but he's been asking her about dates and times. It's really vague stuff, but they seem like they're trying to work out something schedule-wise."

"I thought Hannah was mad at you about you telling on her about the credit card thing or whatever."

"Yeah, I thought she was still mad at me too. But she's really growing up. Good for her." Hannah, my younger sister, declared that she hated me about two weeks prior. To make a long story short, she got a credit card in our mother's name and was about $2,000 in debt before the month ended. When I found out, I told my mom. Hannah's messy 21-year-old self got grounded. I didn't feel bad, especially since my mom found a way to defend Hannah through the whole ordeal. She didn't get in as much trouble as I would have.

"You might be right."

"Anyways, I feel like all of this is one big equation that equals engagement. I'm getting engaged. I didn't really see it coming. I always thought there was supposed to be more of a special thing when you get engaged, but maybe I'm just going to experience it later, when it actually happens. I'm excited though. You're the first person I told."

"Zoey," Amara started weakly. She hesitated.

I slowed my walking down a few steps. "What's wrong?"

She turned her head away from me and to the right, where neat hedges outlined that side of the block. No part of her face was visible under her corkscrew curls. I tried to take a peek at her face, but she only turned away further. I got us to stop walking. I poked her waist, and she jerked under the ticklish touch. "What's wrong with you?"