12 | Know You Better

The plan was thrilling, made my heart ache and happened with surprising speed and ease. Christine sent me a picture of my pretty little Ruffles on Tuesday afternoon, curled up on her hardwood floors. I almost screamed and dropped my phone right there in the shop. Amara eyed me questioningly. I was smiling uncontrollably and I had to call her right then and there. I escaped to the stock room, closed the door and waited for her to answer.

"Say that you love me." The first thing she said when she picked up.

"I love you. I'll say it a thousand times. You're amazing. I can't believe you actually did it! I'm just... how did it go, anyways? Did you see him?"

"I did, I did. I got to the hotel at nine and asked some of the delis if they had seen someone that looked like Cameron, and then I mentioned the dog. One of the guys knew Cameron, so I'm guessing that's the place he's been going every morning. I had a good disguise on too, so don't worry about him catching me. Anyways, his schedule's exactly the same as you said, so he came out at all the right times. Tied the dog up, I crossed the street, got Ruffles and jogged like ten blocks. I'm actually super smart because I wore my workout clothes, so it didn't even look like I was running with a stolen dog."

"So smart."

"I know. Anyways, got a taxi and now we're here. I didn't get to text you right away because I needed to take a nap, which turned out to be much longer than a nap. I really don't have anything going on for the rest of day, so if you need me to drop him off at an airport tonight then I can do that. Just let me know."

"Thank you so much." I rubbed at my tearing eyes. "Thank you."

Amara watched me expectantly as I left the stock room, smiling from ear to ear. Instead of explaining right away, I got out the ingredients for the new batch of cookies and got to mixing. Amara didn't ask any questions and tended to the steady stream of customers coming and going. I pushed the new tray of cookies into the oven, wiped my hands on my apron and checked the sticky note for my next activity: make the lemonade. It was one of my least favorite activities. "Granny," I turned, "do you want to make the lemonade today?"

The conversation with her retirement home clique ended right then and there. She smiled at me. "I'll do it, dear. Just take out the equipment."

I smiled back and got to removing the things she needed. Then, a little lower (but not low enough), I heard her mutter, "Zoey's lemonade never comes out right, you know. A little too bitter for my tastes. And the customer's as well. You know your old Phyllis makes the best lemonade in the town. Her own granddaughter can't even beat her."

I rolled my eyes and set the pitcher on the counter. Just as I went to get the bag of lemons, I heard a familiar raspy voice and recognized that dry delivery: "Can we get the chocolate crossaint?"

"And two lemonades, please! The peach lemonade. Is it done?" Then came another familiar (but much girlier).

I peeked at the customers from behind the fridge door. There was Cody, buttoned up in a light wash denim shirt. Minnie was a little harder to see at my angle, but her signature topknot was the giveaway. Are they dating? I shut the door. No, she's dating Kyung. Unless they broke up. She looks too young for him, anyways. I leaned against the door and remained hidden. Did he ever say that he had a girlfriend? No, right?

"Are you guys... what are..." Amara was so taken aback that she was incapable of finishing her sentence, apparently. I understood the confusion.

"Tongue tied?" Cody asked teasingly.

"Ew, did you think we're a couple? He's my brother! That's so gross. He's, like, thirty years old." Minnie wrinkled her nose.

"Okay, I'm, like, twenty-five." Cody shot back mockingly and without sparing Minnie a single glance.