Chapter Four

[[ I just want to say thanks so much to those of you that vote, comment, and read my story! It means the world to me! In every chapter there is definitely some truth to certain things that I write about. I wanted the story to be very real in a sense. I wanted other people to relate to this story and the charater Ally. Sorry if I take awhile to update. So again thanks a lot! <3 :D ]]

It was a little past midnight. I couldn’t sleep. My parents arguing had kept me up all night. My dad once again left without saying where and my mom finally fell asleep. It was also raining. I could see the lightning from outside the window. And here I am, sitting at the kitchen table eating a box of mint chocolate chip ice cream, something I’d done quite often this week. The flame of a candle nearby was my only source of light. I didn’t want to turn on the kitchen lights or make any noise to wake up my mom. Though the storm outside would do a pretty good job at that. My mind began to wander once more.

I vowed that this summer would be different. I wasn’t so sure about that anymore. So far there has been only a lot of let downs. But it was only the beginning of summer. There was still so much time left. Hopefully something good will come. I laughed softly at my thoughts. I’m hoping for something good to happen? Yeah right.

Hoping will get you nowhere. I know that from experience. Hope was all I had these past few years. If hoping and wishing worked then I obviously wouldn’t be here. I’d be relaxing on a tropical island somewhere in the Bahamas. I’d be wearing only the most expensive clothes and driving the most luxurious cars. I’d be dating a hot model with an Australian accent. But most importantly I’d have parents that never fought or argued. Parents that would grow old together and love each other forever.

I laughed again this time a bit louder. I knew those things would never happen so why even bother. One does not simply wish for something good to come. It won’t happen. It never does.

My eyes struggled to remain open. My lack of sleep this week was really taking a toll on me. It was like my body was aching for rest but my mind wouldn’t let me. I looked down to see that I had eaten the entire box of ice cream. I hadn’t even been paying attention.

I walked down the cold and dark hallway and into the bathroom. I heard the rumble of thunder coming from outside. There I was, standing in front of the mirror once more. I regretted eating all that ice cream. I should have known better. I would have to run to burn off all those calories. All I could think about was all the weight I would gain. I slowly shut the door. Returning to that dark place I knew so well.

* * * *

I ended up falling asleep not long after that, sleeping deep into the afternoon. Thankfully I was not awakened by screams and loud noises.

I walked into my living room. I passed my dad who sat comfortably on the couch watching some show about sharks. I glanced at the clock. My mother sat at the kitchen table with her laptop in front of her. Probably working on another chapter of her book or editing some work of hers. She seemed very focused on the screen that I didn’t even expect her to say a word to me.

“We’re having pizza for dinner Ally.” She said while typing away on the keyboard. I nodded. We had pizza for three days straight… something that I often overindulged in.

“Your mother still hasn’t gone food shopping, she can’t even do that. So we’re stuck with pizza… again.” My father said without removing his eyes from the television.

My mother then pushed away the laptop. “Oh shut up! I haven’t gotten to it yet. If you’re so sick of eating pizza why don’t you go grocery shopping?! Or wait I have a better idea, why don’t you go over to your little girlfriend’s house. I’m sure she’ll love to cook you dinner!” My mother shouted.

My parents always found a reason to argue. I could never understand it. If two people hated each other so much how could they still manage to live in the same house? Why continue being married if there was nothing left to fight for. Both of them together are like a never ending raging fire that burns everything in its path.

My dad slowly got up. He shut off the TV with the remote and tossed the remote onto the coffee table. “You know what Darlene?” I tensed and hoped he wouldn’t add anymore fuel to the fire.

My mother put one hand on her hip and tapped her foot. “What?” She snarled.

He turned around slowly and his eyes stared straight at her. His eyes were so dark. It actually scared me. I grew up loving my dad. He was such a great parent. I never saw him get mad too often. And now, this was all I saw. “Never mind.” He said in a low and firm voice. He shook his head in disgust and started to walk upstairs.

“That’s right! Walk away like the little boy you are!” My mother hissed.

Thankfully he shook off the comment and continued to walk upstairs. My mother and I stood in silence. I could hear his footsteps followed by the loud noise of him slamming his door shut.

I was relieved that things didn’t escalate to something bigger. My mother shut her laptop clearly not in any mood to continue her book.

I grabbed my car keys and headed for the door. “I’m spending the night at Liz’s house.”

She mumbled some words. But her mind was occupied about what just happened. I almost felt bad for leaving her. But I didn’t want to be stuck in this house with either of my parents.

I threw my blue duffle bag into the backseat of my car and drove off to Liz’s house. Getting away from this house was the only thing I wanted most.

* * * *

I sat on the floor of Lexi's bedroom. I was carefully painting my toe nails a blue green color that was called Turned Up Turquoise. I always liked reading the names of nail polishes. Some names had absolutely nothing to do with the color, others were right on.

Through the corner of my eye I spotted Lexi smiling at absolutely nothing while talking on the phone with Dean. Dean and Lexi had hit it off pretty well the other day and they were constantly texting or calling each other. "Oh that sounds like fun. Maybe you could bring Tyler and I could get Ally to come along too. It could be a group thing." Lexi said with a glint in her eyes.

I was trying to apply a second coat to my nails but as soon as I heard this I threw a purple frilly pillow at her and mouthed the word "NO!" to her. The pillow hit the side of her head and she ignored my comment. "Yeah. Ally would definitely love to go with him." She smirked and stuck her tongue out at me.

I glared at her. She flipped her hair over her shoulder and turned away from me. "Alright see you then. Byeeeeeeeeeeeee" Lexi said, though we both knew she didn't really want to hang up on him.

A few seconds later she ended the call and tossed her cell phone onto her purple and green striped bed sheets. "Guess where we're going tomorrow?" She said in a sing song voice.

I shook my head. “I don’t know where you’re going, but I know that I’m going to be at my home.”

Lexi rolled her eyes. “No you’re not. You and I are going out with Tyler and Dean tomorrow.”

I hated when Lexi did this, always deciding things without even asking me. “Lexi…”

She laughed. “I don’t want to hear it. You’re going and that’s final.”

I sighed. It’s not that I completely dreaded the thought of going, but I wasn’t necessarily too thrilled either. “Where are we going then?”

A huge smile grew on her face. “We’re going to the beach!” She plopped down onto her bed, kicking her feet back and forth through the air.

I frowned. “I didn’t bring anything to wear to the beach.”

She turned her head towards me. “I guess we’ll have to do some last minute shopping.”