Rumoured Love: Chapter 3

Rumoured Love

                           Copyright © 2012 Nina Deviine and Katie Teresa (VerreAuCoeur)

                                                                              Chapter 3

                “And so, Romeo was banished from Verona,” Ms. Raymond announced, her voice filled with pure emotion, almost heartfelted. English teachers always got so wrapped up in the novels they read. I had finished even pretending to understand it. “Now, please get together with your partners and plan your essay on Mercutio’s character that will be due in Monday next week.” I could already tell I didn’t particularly care for her. She certainly had a raw dose of sadism in her.

               Everyone in class groaned and protested in unison but like every other teacher I had met thus far, Ms. Raymond had an uptight, authoritative (read: arrogant) air about her that kept the class afraid of messing with her, and her only method of actual discipline involved blatantly sadistic reprimands.

               It seemed like these days everyone had an excuse as to why they couldn’t do homework. They had a life, they had a boyfriend, and they had a sick dog to take care off, bladdy, bladdy blah… I didn't like slackers. I didn't particularly enjoy homework but hell, it had to be done. It was Senior Year. I had dealt with homework and shitty, unfair project work my entire teenage life; at this stage, I could cope with it and often, I put the utmost effort into it. Someone tapped me on the shoulder.

               I turned to face my peer, fully expecting more puerile insults or worthless questions. A petite brunette who looked as though she'd been tipped head to toe in caramel met my gaze. She wasn’t dressed in designer labels like everyone else, yet she certainly had style.

               “So…are we going to plan this sucky essay or what?” she asked, cocking one perfectly plucked eyebrow. Slightly shocked, I looked around the room. It appeared to be an unspoken rule that you work with the person in front or behind you. Deciding not to push my sudden good luck, I dumbly nodded.

               “Okay then, you might need paper for that,” she said. My eyes widened when I noticed that through the whole class, I had nothing to write on. The girl must’ve thought I was an idiot or something. Not waiting for me to get my refill pad from my bag, she tore a page and handed me it.

               “The first week sucks. You’ll get over it and so will everyone else. Can we just plan this essay? I really don’t have time to waste.”

               “Sure,” I finally replied.

               “Hallelujah!” she raised her hands in the air. “The girl can speak!”

               I couldn’t help but laugh at her sarcasm. Her voice was lethargic; she enunciated each word.

               “Of course I can.”

               “Sasha and Jessica get to work,” Ms. Raymond warned us, wagging her index finger. I nearly sneered, but held myself back. I definitely didn’t like her. There was something about her that didn’t sit right with me.

               “Ignore her, she’s a fascist bitch,” Sasha passively commented, not even trying to keep her voice down. “So Mercutio was definitely a complex character. He was someone who wanted to keep the feud going and yet he made the beautiful speech about Queen Mab, the dream fairy. He doesn’t think highly of women and even mocks the Nurse, calling her a ‘bawd’. What do you think so far?”