Rumoured Love: Chapter 2

Rumoured Love

   Copyright © 2012 Nina Deviine & Katie Teresa (VerreAuCoeur)

                                            Chapter 2

             “Let’s go to a strip club,” Janie announced suddenly. I found the cocktail I was leisurely sipping stuck in my throat. I began to cough.

            “Are you insane?” I shrieked, hating to sound so responsible. Janie pouted at me, adjusting her tiny bikini top. She propped up her head and pursed her lips.

            “Of course not. Girls just gotta have fun, ya know?”

            “No, I don’t. Look where fun got me.”

            Janie snorted and turned to wink at some guys who were passing by. I pretended to study my fuchsia pink nails to avoid the pair of curious stares. I really wasn’t in the mood to flirt, which was weird. Sighing, I took another sip. It wasn’t healthy to be in this rut. This wasn’t remotely like me.

            “Did you suddenly develop a conscience or something?”

            I rolled my eyes at my best friend's predictability. “I don’t know. I just want a normal, drama-free year, with a nice and decent reputation.”

            “And pigs will fly.”

            “Very encouraging of you, Jane dear. You’re not the one stuck with a bunch of snobs.”

            “True. All the more reason to go! Ellie is getting married, you know. Think of it as a bachelorette party.”

            “Okay, I’ll go,” I gave in. “I need to do something anyway. I hate being like this.”

            “Agreed. You used to be fun,” Janie said, grinning like a Cheshire cat.

            “And I plan to change that.”

            Ellie squealed when she saw us arriving at her doorstep and launched into hug giving. I smiled as she kissed both of my cheeks, careful to keep her growing tummy out of the way. I remembered the last time I saw her. They weren’t such great circumstances I had to admit. In all honesty, Ellie used to be our Biology teacher.

            “What yous up to?” she asked, eyeing our choice of outfits. Though calling them ‘outfits’ would be being too kind. They were more like scraps of material positioned in convenient places. Janie, Kelley, Trix and I grinned deviously at each other.

            “We’re going to a certain someone’s bachelorette party,” Trix giggled.

            Ellie’s eyes widened and she adopted her usually guarded look. “I’m not going to any strip club.”

            Janie pouted at her with the face of a petulant child. “We didn’t say anything of the sort, did we Jess?” she asked me.

              I nodded my head in agreement. “God no! What do you take us for?” Yet I grabbed Ellie’s shoulder and began pulling her in the direction of the limousine. Her eyes widened and she tried to dig her feet into the ground.