Ch. 3 | Purple Lights

One hour later we’re approaching Purple, and I’m dressed to kill in a neon yellow midi dress with equally vibrant accessories and my dip dyed purple hair slicked up into a high pony tail. My style can be considered very garish at times because as with my art, I like to incorporate the anime look –I’m a bit of a Harajuku girl, but with an urban twist so that I don’t look completely bonkers. My slanted eyes are made to look even smaller with my heavy cat eyeliner, but for the sake of style, I’ve left the rest of my face nude.

Rio takes Carmen, Fontaine, Sky and I over to meet her best friend Tyson and his friends, one of which is the boy I’d been so anxious to see again; Ace. Tyson introduces his friends to us; D-Man (one of the newest, hottest underground UK rappers), DJ Bless, Calvin (a well-known Twitter God), Shaquille (the YouTube sensation of the Shaq-Attack show), Manny (creator of one of my favourite urban clothing line, Obviously Clothing) and Ace. Quite a super group if I do say so myself. There is a lot of social power among them, making them some of the most influential people of our generation. To see that this is Ace’s clique only makes him more attractive –he has status.

There’s something about a powerful man that I find to be such a turn on –a man in those positions knows what he wants and how to get it. A man like that carries himself with an air of confidence (sometimes quietly and other times brazenly). A man like that knows who he is and what he is capable of. He is a leader, an alpha male; dominant, strong, and deadly if you get on their bad side. There’s a thrill that comes with being with powerful men –they have the means to control you, and the sad part is that in a way, you sort of want them to. Not in a bad way, it’s just kind of satisfying to know that should you step out of line, they know how to put you back in your place. It’s a bit twisted when you think about it properly –wanting someone to be able to dominate you. I’m not the boldest female, but I am strong-minded, stubborn and moody –I’m quiet and sweet, but I have my bad days too. I can be a little mouthy if the mood takes me. I want someone who can deal with me when I’m at my worst; someone who won’t run away when they encounter my dark side -someone who deserves my light. I don’t want to be controlled per say; like anybody else, I just want to be understood. You can learn things from a powerful man; they will challenge you and help you grow by transforming you and moulding you into a version of you that you never knew you had the potential to be. The only problem with that is that they also have the potential overpower you if you’re not careful.

He glances up from his iPhone and his green eyes flicker over our group appreciatively, and I swear that they linger on me a little longer than they did on the others, but it was so brief that it’s hard to tell; his focus is back on his phone within seconds. Nevertheless, his effect on me is just as officious as before. Don’t you just hate that; when you’re crushing on someone and you suspect that they may be interested in you too, but they don’t make it clear so you’re not sure if you should pursue them or not? I feel like I’m driving myself crazy, over-analysing every gesture he makes towards me, no matter how small or insignificant, as a sign that maybe my crush actually likes me back.  

Rio interrupts my train of thought with her own introductions, “Ladies this is my boy Tyson. Tyson this is_”

Carmen steps forward and boldly introduces herself, extending her manicured hand to Tyson and purring her name “Carmen.”

“Nice grip,” Tyson replies, somewhat impressed.

Rio isn’t. She quickly introduces the rest of us and changes the subject. “Why aren’t you lot in the line yet?” she asks, frowning at the length of the queue.

Ace looks up from his phone again. He flashes his oral Hollywood perfection at Rio, “Don’t stress babes; you’re with us, you won’t have to line up.” He called her babes too. Humph!