Color

"This Apple is huge!" I complain.

"I know, it's disgusting," She says.

I flip my blinker and merge into the left lane. The freeway is as clear as the sky — not a cloud or car in our way.

"Raddon, I love you."

Aurora's breath is sweet. I turn to her and smile a kiss on her cheek that she playfully leans in to accept.

"You know what? I think today is the best day of our entire lives!"

"Oh yea," I say. "What about yesterday?"

"Yesterday WAS the best day of our lives, but yesterday is so last year babe, c'mon, get with it." Aurora says playfully serious.

Aurora is the most optimistic person I've ever had the pleasure of loving. We are so in love. So in love. I love her. We're not disgusting about it though. From what I've experienced and from what Aurora and I have been told, we are a "Power Couple". I don't know about all that, hearing stuff like that just makes us laugh.

She's the one. I know it. WE know it.

I don't think we are anything spectacular. It's way more simple than that. We are just — in love.

"Rad, okay, I have a joke."

"Oh no..." I say with dread on my vibrato.

"Uh! shut up! Okay, kiss me!"

"Oh no..." I say again.

"Babe!"

I just laugh, then lean over with my lips toward her, keeping my eyes on the road and feel her soft lips peck mine. Then she pulls back and with a sinister smile starts to wipe her lips clean.

"What the heck!" I protest. "Why are you rubbing it off?"

"I'm not! I'm rubbing it in!" She says with the most bogus, homeless puppy dog eyes I've ever seen.

I just pause. I just stare. Profound blankness is my face.

"Okay, that was disgusting" I say bursting out laughing.

"Stop! You loved it!" Aurora says gritting her teeth and with a command in her voice that could change the weather.

We both just laugh. She and I. This is us. We tease. We flirt. We clasp hands like it's the last time we'll ever touch each other. Aurora crosses her legs under her, takes a bite of her Apple and then rests her head on my shoulder.

We are so in love. So in love.

The external decor of our quaint suburban town passes us. My peripheral takes in the blend of Greens and opaque Beiges that the city's officials decided to paint our town in. We're simple. We're young. We're happy.

"Okay, okay, I have a joke," I say. "What did the blind man say to his wife on his death bed?"

"I see the light!" She replies in confidence.

"No. He said this — "My love, I remember how the colors felt the moment we met. Blue never felt so hot and Red never felt so cool. My love, I remember how the colors felt on our wedding day. White never felt so right and the Black of the night's shadows never felt so daring. My love, I remember the way the colors felt the day we gave birth to our first baby. Orange was sweet and warm, Yellow congratulated us on our success. My love, you see, it doesn't matter that I can't see, because the colors you gave me through out the journey of our life were enough for me to paint you in my minds eye, and my love, you are the greatest painting God ever let me feel. See you soon."

"Raddon," she says with warmth that I'm familiar with, "We have that." She grips my hand tighter, kisses me on the cheek.

I come to a red light and stop. I take in the sky. Ahead of us is the city. The government sky scrapers of Shektor Square line the horizon but that's not all, somethings different about the sky. The horizon is a bright White that slowly fades to the mid-day Blue typical for this time of day. The White seems to paint the horizon higher and brighter with each passing second.

"Babe, do you see that?" I say with excitement. "Look at the sky! What is that?"

"It's beautiful. It's our sky." We exchange smiles and the light turns green.

We are s

***