Ch 12 Conflicted

__________________________________________________________

CHAPTER 12

Bella's POV

"Connor!" I shrieked, standing up in shock as Jack stumbled back, clutching his face. Connor immediately looked my way, distracted. Unfortunately, Jack took this to his advantage; punching Connor back, square in the jaw. I panicked and sprinted towards the field, pushing through the crowds of people in order to get around the fence. Right as I got there, Connor lunged at Jack, knocking him over. They began rolling around, punches being thrown left and right.

"Guys, stop!" I screamed, ready to step in. Before I could reach out to pull Connor off of Jack, I was yanked backwards.

"Don't get in the middle of that." James told me, restraining me from moving forward.

"James! Do something!" I said, struggling under his hold. I felt a hand on my shoulder and I looked to the side, at Matt.

"Matt, stop them." I pleaded, glancing back at Connor and Jack. Jack was now on top, raining blows down on Connor. It didn't last for long though- Connor managed to lip them over so that he was now the one on top.

"It's okay, Bella, calm down." Matt said, trying to reassure me. The coaches finally stepped in, pulling them apart.

"Save it for the game!" The coach roared. I pulled away from James, rushing towards Connor.

"Are you okay?" I asked, wincing at the sight of his bloody lip and already bruising jaw. He nodded his head slightly before pushing past me and walking over to the rest of the team. Covering the hurt I felt and ignoring the pitiful looks, I made my way back to my seat.

"That was interesting." Jessica stated, looking at me.

"Why didn't anyone other than me try to stop them?" I asked, annoyed and confused. She shrugged and looked around.

"People are used to them fighting, it's nothing new." She said, watching me carefully.

"Why are you staring at me life that?" I asked suspiciously.

She rolled her eyes. "Do you know why they were fighting?" She asked, her tone implying that the answer was obvious.

I was silent, thinking over everything that happened. "Well you said it was norm-"

Jess threw her hands up in the air. "They were fighting over you, Bella!" I frowned and shook my head.

"Wha-? No... That's ridiculous."

"Bella, you saw Jack point at you right before Connor punched him. Are you really going to try to tell me it was a coincidence?" I looked back at the field, noticing the game was about to start. On cue, the ref blew his whistle.

"I wonder what Jack said to make Connor punch him." I murmured, watched as Connor, who was the quarterback, scanned the field for an open player. Hm, number sixteen, is that funny? My lucky number...

2 hours later

Jess and I stood up, clapping and cheering as Connor and Matt were carried off the field after having scored the winning touchdown off of a play they had together.

"Ready for the party?" Jess asked excitedly. I nodded and grinned at her, following her as we joined the crowd exiting the field.

"Bella!" I turned to see Jack waving at me, motioning me to come over to him. I frowned and shook my head, but the pleading look he gave me made me feel bad.

"I'll be right back." I said, walking out onto the field, past our team and towards Jack.

"Hey-"