25

I knew it wouldn't be easy to tell Misaki.

I told Suzuna first, that I was going out with Tora. She wished me luck and said I'd get her next prize-contest prize. 

But Misaki...she was pissed for a long time. Her boyfriend came to pick her up from my apartment, and she had to be dragged out, yelling insults. 

Now she's sitting on the sofa, glowering at me. "He better treat you well or else," she growls. 

I sigh. "Misaki, he is nice to me."

"It's fake, I bet. He doesn't love you."

"I called you here to help me find a job, idiot!" I snap at her finally. Suzuna looks up from filling up a prize-contest form, her eyes wide.

"Fine, fine. Do you want to work at...ah, my workplace?" she asks reluctantly.

I shrug. "Does it pay well?"

She brightens. "Yup! Not bad at all!"

"I still have my other job to do, though."

Misaki thinks for a while, then suggests "You can work at the maid cafe on weekends. They pay extra then. You can choose the night shift for your bubble tea and still work at both. Then you can earn more."

I nod. Misaki sure is clever. She rolls her eyes and sighs. "IF I SEE THAT TORA IGARASHI..."

The door flies open. Haruto stands there, with Tora.

Tora raises an eyebrow. "You were saying?"

Crap, I forgot Haruto had a half day today and Tora had asked him to go to his company's job interview. The Igarashi Foundation. 

Misaki glares at him. Then she says hi to Haruto. Suzuna stands up, neatly packing up her forms. "Let's go, sis," she says.

Misaki allows herself to be let out, still glaring at Tora. Haruto laughs loudly as soon as she leaves. "That Misa-chan! Excuse her, Tora."

Tora smiles. "Of course."

Haruto thanks Tora for his help, then turns to me, his dark eyes sparkling. "Tora asked me for my permission to bring you with him."

"Where?" I ask, confused.

Haruto grins. "Over winter break, he wants to bring you to Australia. His family has a house there."

Wow.

I don't know what to say. "So...?"

Haruto snaps his fingers. "It means that you're going. You'll be a guest to behave well."

"No, I have to work," I protest.

Haruto pulls out an envelope from his pocket. "More good news! Mom and Dad have won the lawsuit. They can get back 3/4 of their money. And, our Great Aunt Louise just died, so we have her money too."

I smile at that. Aunt Louise never liked us, but it seems she left us some cash in her will. Plus she lived in the US all her life, so we rarely saw her. So I don't feel anything for her death, even if that sounds super cold-hearted. 

Haruto adds "So I'm going to marry Datsune soon, and there's enough money for everyone now."

"Is this real? Can our luck actually be that good?" I ask.

Haruto grins. "Yup. Come on, little sis. You should start packing. Winter break starts tomorrow."

Wait, so fast?

Tora follows me into my room. I shoo him away with my hands. "Why are you here? Seriously, I'm packing."

"I'll help you," he whispers, smirking. 

I feel my face turn hot. I turn away, ignoring him, and continue to pack. Tora just sits on my bed watching me and making smart-ass comments. 

"Are you sure about inviting me?" I ask.

His answer is fast. "Oh, please. Of course."

"Who else is coming?"

Tora tilts his head to meet my eyes. "Maki. And I was thinking Mayumi, your friend?"

I gasp. "Are you sure?"

He smiles. "Stop questioning me."