~*~Chapter 9~*~

~*~Chapter 9~*~

When I awoke, reality came back to me like another slap in the face. Somehow, after waking up groggily, I had this tiny sliver of hope that everything had been a dream. When I say everything, I couldn’t tell you if I was referring to The Fire Maiden’s Battle, or the past fifteen years of my life. Either way; neither of which was a dream and both of which were part of my sad reality.

What stung the most was the memory of me crying in Solice’s arms like some powerless, weak, damsel in distress. Just thinking about it makes me cringe. I’d simply like to point out that I had gone nearly one-hundred hours without sleep, had barely any sanity left, and nearly exposed probably one of the biggest secrets of my entire existence. That was a onetime thing. I’m no sheep. Don’t judge me. Peasants.

I told myself that I’d have to make sure that I watched Elda that day, just in case she actually witnessed my little . . . display and was hiding it. Armed with information like that, she could have me ordered for execution in a heartbeat. But honestly, with the events that were about to play out, she was the least of my worries.

Once reality had sunk back in, the first thing I sought was that idiotic rock. I didn’t even bother to see if Elda or Rey were by my side. Neither was my priority in this moment. A sudden burst of adrenaline shot through my veins as my eyes scanned the nearly illegible names. The fact that I was looking to a damned rock to tell me my friend’s fate was ridiculous.

Solice . . . Solice . . . damn it Solice!

I didn’t see it. I couldn’t read any of the names. My sudden illiteracy was edging me further into rage and worry.

 I rubbed my still sleep-swollen eyes rigorously. How long had I slept? How many battles occurred? How many more men have died in vain?

I should’ve just taken Solice and ran.

A sudden gust of wind passed through the area, kicking up the ashes left behind from the battles.  I had a disturbing thought that Solice could easily be those ashes.

I couldn’t stop the cold sweat from beading down my neck, and my heart seemed to stop beating. Everything was still. Everything was silent. But a raging fire tore through my body. It burned everything inside of me. Everything was being scorched to death. My throat was closing in on itself. My heart was scalded.

Solice’s name was not on that rock.

And I knew if I was going to go up into flames, I was going to take the world to Hell with me.

A horn sounded and the fire-like pain within me was extinguished. I now felt nothing. My father, whom I just noticed was back in his throne next to me, stood to speak.

“We are happy to announce the winner of The Fire Maiden’s Battle--”

It was over. I slept through it all. I slept through my best friend’s death.

Death.