Chapter Twenty-Six

Summer

My stomach drops as she still snaps at me.

I thought maybe, just maybe, she would've heard all of the things I said to her over that month and she'd want to be my best friend again.

I guess I was wrong.

After I tell her about our parents, I leave the room. This is sooooo painful.

I step off the floor, down the stairs, through the lobby, and finally, outside to the garden.

I sit down on a bench beside a pretty fountain, then put my head in my hands.

Why? Why did I have to shut her out, to hate her? Now she truly feels that way about me. Now I'll never get my best friend back. I've ruined everything. It's all my fault.

"What's wrong?" Someone sits down beside me. I look up, only to meet eyes with Luke.

"Everything." I sigh.

"Maybe you could be a bit more descriptive?" He smirks. I roll my eyes and smile a little bit.

"She hates me." I frown. He looks down at his feet, biting his lip.

"Now you know what it feels like." He mumbles.

"Huh?" I look at him, furrowing my eyebrows.

"I said, now you know what it feels like." He meets my gaze, a strong emotion clouding his eyes.

"What do you mean?" I ask. I'm so confused..

"You don't get it."

"I don't get what?" I press.

"Nothing, Summer." He shakes his head and stands.

He's walking away from me.

"Luke!" I yell, tears in my eyes. He disappears.

I stare at the cobblestones on the ground and hug my knees to my chest.

Do I make a mess wherever I go?

---------------------------

I open the door to my empty house, a few grocery bags swishing around on my arm.

I go up to my room and get and armful of pillows and blankets. Then I go into the TV room and make myself comfortable on the couch.

I open a grocery bag and grab some Ruffles. I chomp on them carelessly flipping through channels.

After a few minutes, my phone rings.

"Hello?"

"Summer, where are you at?"

"Home." I answer.

"Why aren't you at the hospital?"

"Michael, you and I both know she doesn't even want me there." I sigh. He sighs as well.

"Maybe you guys could work something out?" I give him a look, when it remember I'm talking on the phone.

"That's funny."

"Stop pouting." He shoots back.

"Whatever. I'm busy."

"Busy sitting on your ass?"

"Goodbye, Michael." I hang up.

I stare at the TV for 15 more minutes before I get bored.

I get up, quickly deciding to get on my bike.

I go outside and climb on.

I feel a strong sense of déjà vu as I wheel down the street, no idea of where to go.

I ride down the street a mile or two, before I find myself turning to park at the curb by the cute little ice cream shop.

I step inside to see a sweet looking teenage girl.

I order a small cone, then go back outside.

Where was the nice old lady?

For some reason, I have a feeling that I should return to the hospital....

And so, that's exactly what I do.

///////////////////////

:)

Vote

Comment

Fan!

Lots

Of

Love!

Kat!

XxxxxxxxxxxX