Chapter 1 - Eplon Minister

As me and my mother slowly approached the Minister, I grew anxious. Thoughts like "What if I get a speciality like grass picking?" lingered around my mind. And yes, there were MANY occasions where a speciality like "Grass picking" happened. A rough estimate of 1 in 1000 people have a chance of getting a useless speciality, this leads to homeless living on the streets trying to scrape by, by becoming beggars. It was heart breaking seeing people shatter their own pride just for some coin; it really showed me how desperate things were...

Cast all that aside, as I know better than to get distracted on a fateful day such as this. This day only comes on your 16th year after you were born. If you do not pay attention, it could cost you your life. Reason being? Well, your mana might go berserk causing the greatest chaos imaginable, especially when your mana is large, if your mind is elsewhere whilst you are figuring out your speciality, you can cause major damage to everything around you, but mostly yourself. Imagine it like this; your body is a bucket of water. You need to stay focus and take everything nice and steady to not even spill 1 drop on the floor. Anything that drops leaves a stain. Now imagine this with mana; with your body being the bucket and the mana being the water. One drop could leave small amounts of damage. Let's say we tip the WHOLE bucket over. Explosions!

 Now of course, we could put a tight seal on it, a lid. A lid for your mana can come in many different ways. Either a tattoo, jewelry or special clothing. All are expensive so not many people have them. An alternative is you become like the Wise Widows that managed to master mana control, becoming the ultimate vessel that never spills any mana unless intended. That is exactly why the number 1 rule when figuring out your speciality is; keep focused. Don't get distracted. Back to reality; me and my mother have finally arrived at the large gates. The gates attempt to stare me down... but I stare back. They creak open and we step inside in a hurry, to see many people the same age as me either being anxious or really cocky. I'd fit in the anxious crowd. Of course, my bullies have to be the ones to be cocky. Typical. I let my eyes wander throughout the huge temple-like inner-structure, then I spot a shady figure. My eyes widen, as I see the same eyes as I saw in the dream. I couldn't believe my eyes. 

I rubbed my eyes in hopes that it would disappear. It did. Relief, the only feeling I could feel wash over me as a booming voice suddenly entered the hall. "Welcome, welcome all of you! I am Loder and this is my beautiful Eplon Minister! Of course, everything is dedicated to our true goddess, Lya. You all may already know, but you must be reminded. Today is your 16th year alive and to celebrate that, you get a speciality to help you earn money and set you on the path of becoming a successful adult!" Pause. Nothing else was said. Then Loder cleared his throat and continued talking. "Now, I assume you all know the dangers? You must keep focused and concentrated or you will cause great harm to everyone here!" He urgently announced I read other's facial expressions. Some determined, others anxious. I was mixed. I was being quite optimistic but making sure I also kept in mind all possible outcomes, including the worse ones.

"Androme Klihit, please come up!" The voice called over a boy sat next to me. We were currently 4 hours in and of course, I just HAD to be last. So annoying, I want to get home and sleep... but then again my curiosity is larger than my desire. After 10 or so minutes, I heard my name get called over. "At last, Elvin Proll Foe! Come on up." I heard Loder called me over. I stood up and made my way there, with a pace of a turtle. Once I had finally arrived, I knocked on the door to the room. "Yes, Elvin please come on in!" I heard from the other side. I placed my hand on the handle. THUMP. THUMP. I heard my heart race quicker, harder, harder than a blacksmith hammering his to-be-made sword! I twist the handle and I'd hear a painfully loud SCREEE... I enter the room and look around. A pure white room with second to no dirt embedded into it. It was other-worldly for certain. 

"Ah, Elvin I know you are admiring my room, but I'd like to get this over with quickly please, I have other matters to tend to. Please sit down on the chair." He broke me out of my intrigue. "Ah, yes sorry sir." I'd hurry to the chair and sit down. I'm all tense, I really need to loosen up huh? "Place your right hand onto the orb and concentrate on it. Imagine a blue liquid swirling in your body, then let it flow to your right hand." He'd explain whilst keeping a sharp eye on me. "Do NOT lose concentration. I am not saying this for my own safety, but everyone else's." I felt pressured, knowing that all these lives would depend whether I manage to concentrate or not. "Lets see here..." Loder had a look into the orb and had an unreadable expression. "What the hell kind of speciality is 'The Conqueror of Ruins'?" He'd spit out his curiosity. "What do you mean sir?" I ask him, I couldn't tell what was going on. "Well, you got a unique speciality, you must be blessed by the godde-" CRASH. We heard something hit the town at a tremendous speed. We looked out the window, next thing we saw was fire. It was everywhere, burning the town to the ground. This couldn't be! My mind went back to the memory where I had seen the shady guy in the Aplon Minister... He had to have something to do with this!