Ch 6 - The Change

They all stare at Haru in surprise and confusion. Makoto's heart skips a beat at his words. He almost says something but he then decides not to and removes Rin's arm roughly.

Haru looks into the unknown eyes and attempts to read him. Makoto glares back intensely to cover any signs of emotion. He's too afraid to let Haru get him again, it obviously, as everyone knew, turned out badly last time. Makoto steps away from Rin and towards Haru.

"I won't let you mess with my hea-..me again. No matter what." Makoto spits at the vunerable boy. Their chests are about an inch or two away from each other, so close. After they stare at one another for a good 30 seconds or so, Makoto breaks the contact and begins to walk past him. Haru reacts in a quick second as he reaches out and grabs onto Makoto's hand.

"Makoto..." He says hoping that he will understand the rest, it used to be so easily done. Makoto ignores the stressed look and shakes the hand loose as he walks off. Hurt builds up in Haru. 

In the blink of an eye, Makoto is gone around the corner. Haru's hand is still raised and he looks down upon it. Suddenly he hears a hard smack and he turns around in surprise. Rin's fist is pressed on the wall. 

"What're you doing?" Nagisa exclaims running over and grabbing his hand from the wall, "You are going to break your hand!!" 

"Sorry," he says pulling his hand away from Nagisa lightly and placing it at his side, "but why did I do that, and why did he say that? What happened to make him so pissed off?" Haru looks at him just as flustered before turning around and walking off in another direction. Leaving the scene that made his heart ache because of Makoto. 

"What's with him too? Everyone acting like a bi-" Rin stops seeing Nagisa's raised eyebrow and he laughs nervously. Rei shrugs walking over and standing close by Nagisa. The corners of Rin's mouth curl up and he looks between the two. They look back at him confused.

"You guys are together aren't you?" Rin says smirking. Rei's face goes completely pale, he glances around nervously and Nagisa looks at him surprised. 

"H-How did you know that?" Rei says.

"I don't know, I just did!" Nagisa lets out a chuckle and smiles at Rei. He grabs his lowered head and lifts it up. "He wanted to keep it a secret, I didn't mind so I agreed to it." Rei's face gains color and then becomes overwhelmed with it, his face red and Nagisa stands on his toes and plants a kiss on his cheek. Rin rolls his eyes and loosely links arms in between them. 

"Come on lovebirds!! Let's go watch a movie or something! We haven't really ever hung out, just us!" He says dragging them along. 

"Isn't this a bad time?" Rei says stumbling.

"Nah! Let's go!" Rin says and Rei and Nagisa laugh. They were actually truly happy for once in the past couple of days.

~Next Day~

Haru sits there face down on his bed. He rolls onto his back, but he rolls too far and hits the ground with a thud. He sits up, clenching his teeth and reaches to his back.

"Ow..." he whispers to himself. Getting up off the floor and walking to the bathroom for the usual soaking. After a few minutes in the bath, he gets out and heads downstairs to eat. 

After getting ready for his day, he heads out the door to see Makoto on the steps playing with a kitten. Haru stops in his tracks, staring at the boy he thought was still so hard. Makoto notices him and looks up in surprise. He shoots up in surprise and you could almost swear there was a soft blush on his face. 

"I...Uh..." Makoto stutters as Haru takes a couple steps down meeting him at the bottom. Since Makoto was taller, Haru stood on the step above Makoto's. 

"W-What're you doing here?"

"I live here too!" He shoots back defensively. Haru scoffs quietly.

"You should be at school." He says walking past him. Makoto grabs his shoulder and Haru is frozen. His heart skips a beat and he his eyes widen. Haru turns around in surprise and stares at him.

"I-I'm sorry for getting you suspended." He says shaking his head slightly, "I mean...I just...!" Flustered he lets out a loud sigh of annoyance, he turns around and begins to run up the stairs.

"Makoto!!!" He yells as the tall boy turns to meet his eyes, "Stop running away from me!" Makoto looks at him in surprise.

"T-There isn't anything else I can do!"

"What do you mean?! I just want the truth!"

"The truth? Here you go!! I can't even barely look you in the eyes without feeling a huge amount of pain every time!!!"

"Mak-!" Before he can finish his sentence, Makoto runs away yet again. "You know...your not the only one feeling that way..." He puts his face in his hands letting out a loud sigh. He then feels a warm, purring body rub across his leg. He looks down at the figure and bends down and sits on the step. He picks up the kitten from before and places it in his lap. He pets it lightly as it meows in thanks. 

"Why is he so caring and loving towards you, but seems as if he wants nothing to do with me?" He asks the cat.

That night, after another night of cleaning the locker room, he returns back to his house and see's Nagisa and Rin sitting in his living room playing a video game with Rei sleeping under a blanket with his head on Nagisa's lap. 

"Hey! That was mine! Not cool!!" Rin exclaims and Nagisa just laughs at him. Without even acknowledging them, Haru walks upstairs to his room. He plops onto the bed, exhausted. He starts to doze off, but he doesn't get to when someone busts into his room. 

"Ugh...!!!" He groans, "What do you want, I'm trying to sleep!!!" He places a pillow over his head as a hand reaches down and pulls it off.

"Haru." Rin growls, He takes a seat on the bed and Haru sits up. 

"Ugh...what do you want?!" 

"I want to know about Makoto!"

"What're you talking about?" he shakes his head. 

"You can like..." Rin says trying to find the right words to use, "read his mind!!"  

"N-No I can't. He isn't the same anymore."

"Haru your the only person that knows him that well!"

"I can't anym-"

"Haru!!!" Rin yells grabbing him by the shoulders. "You are his best friend!! I don't know what is going on with him, but I do know he needs your help!! You are the only one that can!! We need you to talk to him! No, we need you to fix him." He says changing his words. Rin grabs Haru's phone from the nightstand and hands it to him. 

"You know what you need to do." Rin says as he gets up and leaves the room.

Haru looks down at the phone and sees the name "Makoto" across the screen. He presses some buttons on the phone and in a few minutes there is a text written.

"We need to talk. Please meet me Friday at the pool at 8pm." It reads and then his eyes follow to the bright green send button. He stares at it and hesitates for a moment before placing a thumb on it. In a couple of minutes there is a reply and he looks down at the phone.

"Fine. Friday at 8."