Ch 4 - He Does Care

"Haru-Chan!" Nagisa yells, running toward him.

 "HARU-SENPAI!!!" Rei yells from the other direction. Haru turns his head side and side to see the two boys running towards him. He looks at them with confusion. Rei and Nagisa look at each other with surprise.

 "Did you see it too?!" Rei asks Nagisa frantically. Nagisa nods, looking at him with the same worry.

 "What are you guys freaking out about?" Haru questions confused.

"What happened?" Nagisa asks.

"What are you talking about?" Haru looks at Nagisa.

"It had you name name on it!" Rei says. Haru looks at them in confusion.

"Come on!" Nagisa says grabbing Haru's wrist and pulling him away. Rei follows behind them. In a minute or two they arrive at the destroyed locker room. Haru gasps quietly in surprise of what he sees. 

"W-what happened here?!" 

"I guess it wasn't you then..." Rei says. Haru looks around at the trashed room. He walks up to the wall and reads what it says. 

"For the team? Not anymore." it reads. Haru stares at it hurt. He knows immediately who did this. He makes no emotion he just stares at it with sadness glimmering in his eyes. Rei and Nagisa meet him at the wall. 

"So you didn't do this? Who did?" Nagisa asks. 

"Makoto..." he whispers in reply, placing a hand on the wall and clenching his fist. He bangs the wall and turns toward the other two. 

"What happened with Makoto-senpai?" Rei stares at Haru waiting for an answer.

"I don't really know why exactly. Something is definitely wrong though." Haru starts as he tells them everything from the two fights. The one in the alley and the one at the Tachibana house. 

"I said, 'Good riddance'... I was just so angry that it came out. It's probably what set him off..." Rei and Nagisa stare at him listening to every word. "Sorry guys..."

"It's okay Haru-Chan!" Nagisa says patting him on the back with a smile plastered to his face like always. Haru looks at the joyous boy and gives a small smile back.

 Suddenly the Iwatobi principal walks into the locker room with fury. 

"Nanase Haruka!" He yells angrily, "Why did you do this?!" pointing to the walls.

"B-but I didn't-"

"We have proof, your name and also follow me." Haru follows behind him up to the school locker rooms. "Open your locker." Haru stares at him confused, but he obeys and opens his locker. Multiple empty paint cans and a splintered bat tumble from the locker. Haru's eyes widen seeing it fall out.

"You are to be suspended for a week and paint over the graffiti on the walls, alone, unless you boys were involved." He says looking at Nagisa and Rei. 

"N-no they weren't! It was my fault...alone." 

"I'm disappointed in you Haruka, I don't even want to know why you would do such a thing! Anyways and as for the lockers, we have to replace the walls, I know you live alone though so you can either take community or school service or another week of detention."

"I'll help with the school and community." Haru answers.

"Fine. Also since you have lost two members already we are going to just shut down the swim club now. We will be draining the pool tomorrow." Haru, Nagisa and Rei look at him surprised and begin to argue. 

"What?!" Nagisa yells.

"You said we had a week!! Why are you doing this???" Rei asks.

"Principal-!" Haru starts before being cut off. 

"I'm sorry that's the way it is. You should have thought about it before ruining the locker room!" He yells glaring at Haru.He weakens under the stare and then nods. 

"I know I'm sorry..." Haru says before the Principal walks away shaking his head. Rei and Nagisa walk in front of Haru.

"Why'd you do that? It was Makoto's fault!" Nagisa yells at him. 

"Because I'm not going to get my best friend into trouble!! ..Anyways I'm the reason he did it..." Rei and Nagisa look at Haru before looking at each other in realization. Then they nod at each other in agreement and walk off. Haru looks up at them confused. 

"Where are you go--?" 

"No where!" Rei says cutting him off. They both wave over their shoulders and walk off. Haru stares after them.

Nagisa and Rei walk out of the school. Nagisa looks over to Rei. 

"You are thinking the same thing as me right?"

"We are going to see Makoto and tell him what Haru did for him?" He replies back quickly. Nagisa nods and laughs loudly while nudging Rei"s shoulder. 

"Nagisaaa!" Rei says falling over. He straightens up and Nagisa is no longer beside him."Nagisa?" He asks before a body lands onto his back pushing him over. 

"Rei-Chan can you carry me?" Nagisa says pouting with big eyes. Rei looks at Nagisa's face and hearing those words his face goes completely red. He says nothing grabbing onto Nagisa's thighs and pulling the small body up on his back. They begin walking on towards Makoto Tachibana's house. 

"Nagisa why am I carrying you?" 

"Am I too heavy?" He says nuzzling into the others neck. Rei's face returns the same red color as earlier.

"N-No...Y-your r-really light..." Rei stutters. Nagisa smiles into the navy black hair and whispers a "Good..." into his ear, making Rei blush even more.

They finally arrive at Makoto Tachibana's house and ring the doorbell. A tall teen with a blunt face looks down at them as he opens the door. Nagisa stares at Makoto angrily with his arms crossed. Rei stands there with a confused upset look.

"Makot-" Nagisa starts.

"It's Tachibana. Acquaintances don't get to call each other by their first name." Nagisa looks at him in surprise with hurt in his eyes and Rei steps in front of him. 

"Tachibana-senpai. We don't care to hear you complain about your pitiful antics." Makoto looks at the brave boy surprised. "We didn't come for that. We came to tell you that your a coward. How dare you blame Haruka for what you did?!" Makoto smirks in satisfaction and then shrugs.

"It doesn't matter, he will probably just say it was me-"

"No. You don't know anything so just s-shut-up! He took the blame for you. He is getting a week of suspension and he is cleaning the entire locker room alone. You should be ashamed of yourself, Makoto Tachibana." Rei says glaring at Makoto with every word. Makoto stares at him back with eyes wide. 

"H-He took the blame...I-I mean I don't care! H-he desev-"

"No, you jerk. He doesn't deserve that. You do, but he doesn't want to let you get in trouble. He thinks it's his fault, because of the fight you guys had. He told us everything..." Rei yells into Makoto's surprised face.

"It's just like when Haru and Rin had the race as kids and Rin lost. Haru felt so bad and thought it was his fault the entire time." Nagisa interjects.

"W-Well h-he is being dumb, why did he take the blame--?

"Because he cares about you!!!" Nagisa and Rei yell in union.

'He cares about...me...?'