1

There will be violence, and possibly trigger warnings

I sighed as I lay on the couch for my mom to come home from work. I turned on the television to watch the news.

          “Breaking news,” the news anchor said. “There have been several gruesome murders over the past six months. We are telling people to stay inside. The murderer is described as being around 5’ 9”, black hair and light blue eyes. His victims are all female, all looking almost alike. We advise anyone to stay inside.

          “Many of his victims have been found in a pine box, limbs not being found. We don’t want him to strike back. If you find anyone with this description, please turn him in.”

          The news anchor moved off the segment. “Another time to have mothers and daughters worry.” I muttered to myself and got off the couch.

          I went into the kitchen to find something to eat. Of course, we had nothing. I groaned and leaned against the counter, my elbows resting slightly on the counter.

          In the living room, the old grandfather clock sang its chime. I grabbed a glass from the cabinet and filled it with water. My phone went off in the other room. I sighed and went to grab it. It was a text from my mother saying she won’t be home until late tonight. Damn. Just like usual. She sent another one right after telling me to order something.

          This is what she does. She says that she got the night off and then her boss wants her to stay. I had a feeling something isn’t right. She’s been staying late for a whole month and doesn’t come home until one in the morning.

          I sighed and did what she told me. My brother came down from his room.

          “Do you know where Mom is?”

          “Working late,” I said with a sigh.

          “Here, instead of ordering dinner, how about I take you out?”

          I turned and smiled. “Thanks. That’ll be a change.”

My brother, Randy, dropped me off and he drove home. He usually stayed with Mom and me for a couple days and then leaves. I went up to my room and lay down on my bed. It was already dark outside. I soon fell into a deep sleep.

I was awoken by my phone going off in the early morning hours. I groaned and reached for my phone.

          “Hello?” I asked sleepily.

          “Sky – Skylar? I need you to come over quickly.” My friend Rosie sounded like she was scared.

          I sat up straight. “Rosie, what’s wrong?”

          “Someone’s here. Please –” The sound of a door busted open and Rosie screamed. She was screaming for me.

          I threw off my blanket and saw I had my clothes still on. I grabbed my sweatshirt and threw it on and headed over to Rosie’s.

Once I pulled up, it was silent. I quickly took the keys out of the ignition and ran into Rosie’s house. “Rosie!” I screamed.

          I ran into to the living room, breathing franticly. She wasn’t there. I checked the lower level and she wasn’t in any of the rooms. “Rosie!” I screamed as I ran upstairs.

          My hand touched something wet on the stairwell. I looked at my hand in the dim lighting of the house. The wet handprint was blood. “Oh shit. Rosie!” I ran to her bedroom and I gasped at what I saw. “Rosie, damn it!” I screamed. I ran to her, seeing a pool of blood forming around her. The once was white carpet is now a red circle.