Gone

Tap, Tap, Tap. 

    "Could you stop?" 

    "I'm anxious, I've never really liked planes," 

    "Well I've never really liked you and this isn't helping,". And so it began. I felt the plane begin ascending into the gray sky, the only rocky things being the emotions inside the plane. 

   Christina and Lexi's argument is the only thing spoken aloud. Mark and Lexi had nothing happening which ultimately meant something was happening, mom and dad stood at odds over where we would be moving, Arizona was pissed at Alex which is why she was here and he wasn't. Me? I'm not ok, nothing would ever be ok but somehow I'm able to accept that making it ok? Point- I don't know what the hell I'm feeling but it's uncomfortable and unnerving. I fix my glasses and sight gently.

   I slid down in my seat and closed my eyes in hopes of catching something resembling peaceful sleep.   

   Panic? Panic. Where am I? Trees, trees, trees. River rush. I feel a knife like pain in my chest, I look down and see a small piece of metal stuck between my ribs, a few were likely broken. My nose was searing with pain. I tried to stand, a loud groan is all that can escape my lips. Everything gets fuzzy, not just because of the tears. I keep trying to breathe, increasingly shaky. 

"Mom!" I weakly shout. My voice broke halfway.

"Dad!" I try to scream, barely breaking a whisper.

No. This isn't happening. This has to be some nightmare... 

'Amity! Snap the hell out of it!' A voice snaps from inside. 

I sit up, pain gripping every. single. bit of my body. I scream, not something I was trying to do but it happens. Birds squawk off into the sky.  I lay against the tree, passing out...

It's dark now. I look up at the sky and see the stars, a million galaxies beyond just my own. It was peaceful, despite the chunk of metal sticking out of my chest.

"Amity!" I see my mother rushing over to me.

"Mom," I sob. She strokes my hair out of my face, bringing notice to cuts I hadn't previously noticed due to my ribs. Salty tears don't help in the least. 

"Where is everyone else? How are they? Did they..." I swallow, not being able to finish. Her eyes begin to fill with tears.

"Lexie.. she didn't.." She chokes on a cry. More pain grips through my chest, not just the sob racking through my broken ribs.

"And everyone else.." I ask, closing my eyes as if to say 'I'm strong. Too strong to cry. I'm fine.'.

"They're alive... Christina and I got the least of it clearly,". 

Later...

"Dad," I sigh, the tears spilling again. Mom and Christina sit me down next to him. 

"Amity," he cries. I lean against him and stare into the fire. It dims. 

~~~~~~~~~

I wake up, I can't breathe very well.

"Mom," I fight for air. A few minutes I'm attached to oxygen from the plane. I pull my crushed frames from my pocket, careful of the glass. I throw them. I groan from the sudden movement.

The cold sticks to my bones, unshakable and impossible to get used to. I begin to hum some random song while the world spins around me.

Spins, spins, spins. Constantly and we only see ourselves. We only see the world how it is to us as if we are a tv show where we are the main character. Or if we are particularly unimportant for a period of time we're a sidekick. 

The sun feels almost warm but the cold is too bitter to be beaten by occasional sunlight. Sun, shine. A big ball of fire in an empty existence we owe everything to. Children and lovers being 'our sunshine'. Arizona was sunshiney in the way that it's bright and happy. Lexie was too. I was too. 

Two. Two seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, years, lifetimes. Two of anything evens or tips a scale. I am too tired for this shit. 

___________

A million things slip in and out of my mind. Numb to the world's spin. I have no idea where I am or how I am or who I am. I'm just gone...