Insane Asylum

When I walk to school, I always feel uncomfortable. I have to walk by an abandoned Insane Asylum. Though it was abandoned and scheduled for demolition, I always felt uneasy. I got a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach, like a sense of foreboding, but it always left after I passed the property. It just gave me the creeps.

The final bell rang at school. Finally, out of the Hell hole people call "School". It was Friday, so we got released at 2:45pm rather than the usual 4:45pm. My friends and I walked home together. When we got to the property of the Asylum, my friend Seth stopped.

"What's wrong, Seth?" Another friend, Dylan asked.

"Nothing. Do you guys want to go in?" Seth suggested. I was very uncomfortable with this, but my friends replied with excited "Hell yeah!"'s, so seeing as I wasn't thrilled with the idea of being called a pussy until I caved, I had to agree as well.

"Well, we can't go in now!" Dylan said, "People will see us, plus, it's abandoned and it's going to be demolished. It's probably locked. We'll have to break in."

I thanked Dylan in my mind. I started to feel relieved, but then Seth came up with yet another suggestion.

"True, but we can sneak in at midnight. Everyone's asleep, and if they're not, they'll be going to work. No one will take the time to tell us otherwise. We don't have to break in, Amy, you have bobby pins, right? Yeah, I thought so. I know how to pick locks. No one has no know we were in there except us, what do you say, guys?"

Silence grew among us. We were all processing our thoughts on the plan that Seth had just spilled out. We stood in silence for about a minute.

"So, are we going to do this or what?" Seth probed.

A symphony of "Fuck yeah!", "Of course!" and "Yeah"'s came from different people. It was settled. We were coming to meet here at midnight.

I walked along the sidewalk to the mental asylum. I had drunken four cups of coffee in order to stay awake. My footsteps made a soft "Tap. Tap. Tap." on the pavement as I walked. I grew very uneasy as I approached the Asylum, as usual. But this time, it was a terrible, terrible sense of foreboding. Very definite. It looked even creepier at night. I saw my friends. Everyone was standing in a circle, obviously telling jokes. I saw that Seth had come with four flashlights. Oh, good. At least now it won't be AS creepy. 

"Hey Melissa!" Amy called to me.

"Shh! Amy, shut up!" Dylan and Seth scolded her in a "whisper-yell", I waved nonetheless, picking up my pace to jog up to them.

"So, are you guys ready?" Seth asked. He was obviously very excited for this.

"Yeah." Dylan, Amy, and I said in unison.

"Alright. Amy, you come with me. Melissa, you go with Dylan. Here," He said, handing us the flashlights.

"Okay, I see how it is, Fred. I hope you and Daphne have fun together," I said sarcastically.

"Shut the fuck up," Seth said with a grin.

We walked towards the Asylum together in a horizontal line.

"Amy, you brought a bobby-pin, right?" Seth asked, holding his hand out expectantly. Amy nodded her head and dropped it into his hand. Seth picked the lock and opened the door. 

"So, who wants to go in first?" Seth asked with a tone as if we was challenging us.

"I'll go," I said, I just wanted to get this over with. After all, the sooner we get in, the sooner we get out, right? And with that, I stepped inside of the Asylum.