Chapter 23 - Dragon Bait

"You do not understand! I have to go back!" Nema cried, trying to shove Thorin out of the way.

"Give him more time," the dwarf replied brusquely. He stood firm against her pleas to get back inside, blocking her way and preventing her from getting anywhere near the entrance.

"Time to do what?" Balin asked. "To be killed?"

"Time to find the Arkenstone."

Growing thoroughly irritated, Nema made to step back of the ledge and spread her wings, hoping to fly over Thorin, but the dwarf pre-empted her. He grabbed her arm and pulled her back before her wings even twitched. "Thorin!" she snapped. "Bilbo is stuck down there with a dragon! When I left, Smaug was all but setting the whole place aflame. Do you really expect me to wait up here and let him burn Bilbo to ashes?"

Fire had already claimed someone she loved. She would not let her friend suffer the same fate.

"You're afraid," said Thorin. He looked around at his companions. "You're all afraid."

"Of course we are," said Balin, "and you should be too. I fear for you. A sickness lies upon that treasure hoard - a sickness that drove your grandfather mad."

"I am not my grandfather."

"You are not yourself either. The Thorin I know would not hesitate to go in there."

"I will not risk this quest for the life of one burglar."

Nema hit him with one of her wings - not hard enough to do any damage, but hard enough to sting. "His name," she hissed, "is Bilbo, and if you don't let me pass so I can try to save his life I will throw you off this mountain myself and be done."

It was an empty threat, and she knew it. There was nothing in all Middle Earth that would make her do such a thing. She would hit him, but that was as far as she could go. Even so, Nema kept her eyes fixed on Thorin's with a glare so fierce and steady he probably believed that she would not hesitate to do him harm.

Finally, after Thorin had met and held her gaze for what seemed like an age, the dwarf nodded, and turned his back on his Guardian to lead the descent into the mountain.

***

"Oakenshield....he sent you in here for the Arkenstone..." the deep, gravelly voice of Smaug echoed around hall, as loud as any thunderstorm. The dragon was constantly moving, snaking his long, barbed neck from side to side as he spoke while his thick tail swept across the mountains of coins, goblets and jewels.

The sight of all that gold made Nema's stomach turn over. Moments before - though truly it felt like an age - when she had been searching for the Arkenstone with Bilbo, she had not felt ill at all, only confused as to why anyone would need that much wealth. But now, crouching beside Thorin as they peeked over a toppled column to examine the situation, she could feel the sickness growing inside him, emanating off his skin and seeping through hers and into her heart. She could sense how differently he felt at seeing the gold than she did. While she felt nauseous, Thorin felt unbridled pleasure that made his heart hum in his chest, and when Nema spared a glance at him, she could see his eyes were gleaming bright in their sockets.

A slight shiver ran down her spine, so she looked away again and tried to ignore the growing sensation of dread.

"I guessed his foul purpose long ago, but it matters not," Smaug continued. Nema and Thorin were too far away to hear Bilbo's voice, but they could see him darting here and there whenever the dragon's gaze was elsewhere in a desperate attempt to get to safety. The other dwarves were waiting close to the entrance of the passage. "Oakenshield's quest will fail. A darkness is coming..."