Chapter 11 - The Guardian's Blade

"Why are we just standing here? Why can't we fly off this stupid branch, find the dwarves and get out of here?"

"No."

"Why not? The elves would never be able to catch us once we are in the air - they can't fly."

"And what of their arrows?"

"We will fly fast."

"It will never work. The aim of an elf is unrivaled - execpt by us, of course."

"We will go when they least expect it. That way we will have gone before they have time to reach their weapons."

"And where will we find the dwarves? You know not where they have been taken."

"All the same we have to at least try! I cannot stand by and do nothing while Fili is - while they are locked away in some terrible dungeon!"

"If you try and fail we will end up in a worse position than we already are. Do you want them to chain your wings to the floor?"

"No, but..."

Fili listened to the two Guardians arguing beneath Thranduil's throne. He was hiding further down the branch, behind the archway that led up to where the Guardians stood. A single elf had been left to watch them, but he was too interested in the music playing above ground to take any notice of their words. Fili could just about see him from where he stood. Every other elf had disappeared to attend the Feast of Starlight.

There came the sound of light footsteps and Fili turned, expecting it to be Bilbo. The hobbit had taken so long leading the others out that Fili had given up on him, and headed up alone. But the dwarf could not see anyone anywhere nearby. Frowning, he peered down the branch. Nothing moved.

With a shrug, the young dwarf turned back again and leaned out from behind the arch. He strained to get a glimpse of Nema, of even a single white feathered wing, but the twisting branch obscured his view of the Guardians. He jerked his head back when the elf's head began to turn in his direction, and became aware of another presence hiding behind the other pillar of the arch.

"Bilbo!" Fili hissed. "Where have you been?"

But the hobbit shook his head violently, and tucked something into his pocket. In one hand he held the short sword Gandalf had given him back at the troll's cave, and with the other he pointed to the ceiling then tapped his wrist to show they had little time left to get out undetected.

Fili nodded to show he had understood. He pointed through the arch, held up one finger, and then touched the tip of his ear, telling Bilbo there was only one elf watching the Guardians. When he was sure Bilbo had understood him, Fili withdrew Nema's blade and took a deep breath. It was now of never.

Without warning, the dwarf stepped out of hiding and made to charge up the branch, but no sooner had he revealed himself did the lone elf raise a horn to his lips and give three short blasts. The sound was deafening, and must surely have been heard from above ground but the music did not stop. It continued, beautiful as ever. But now footsteps echoed all around the cavern, and Fili saw elves appearing on every available ledge and branch, armed with their bows and arrows, already drawing them back and aiming at himself and Bilbo.

Realising the danger they were in, Fili grabbed the hobbit and ran towards the throne, just as a volley of arrows struck the archway. The elf above them had a bow too, but before he could release the horn and retrieve his arrows Fili had barged into him. The elf stumbled back, tripped over his quiver which was lying on the floor, and fell from the branch.

"Fili!" Nema cried.

The dwarf turned around to greet her, but a commotion further along the branch caught his attention, and he spun on the spot to see the Elf King striding towards them, laughter in his eyes.

"Did you truly believe we would not be prepared for some heroic escape attempt?" He smirked. His leaf-green robes swept the branch behind him as he approached. "Dwarves appear to be just as foolish as they have ever been - especially Thorin, the one you call King-Under-the-Mountain. He is foolish enough to believe he is the only one to suffer in the claws of the dragon. But he is wrong."

Thranduil stopped walking when he was level with the arch and held up his hand for the elves to lower their bows. Silence fell over the cavern. The music had finally stopped. At first, Fili thought time had stopped still, for not a single one of the elves was moving. But when he looked closer, he realised something was moving.

The Elf King's face had lost its smooth beauty. The skin of his left cheek seemed to be melting off his bones, and his eyes were filled with a pain so intense it was a wonder he did not cry out. Fili stared, transfixed, as a ragged hole appeared in Thranduil's face. His fair hair sizzled away from one side of his head, leaving shiny skin that was red raw.

When the transformation was complete, Thranduil spread his hands. "You see? You see what dragons do? If Thorin Oakenshield is allowed to wake the dragon he will bring fire and ruin to all Middle Earth." In a second, Thranduil's face had returned to its original state.

Fili had heard enough. He tightened his grip on Nema's blade, then charged forwards at the elf. Arrows flew through the air but not one met its mark. The dwarf closed in, jabbing the point of the dagger between Thranduil's ribs. It cut through the fine silk, but was brought to a half before it reached skin.

Síor had moved faster than any arrow could fly, leaping between the elf and the dwarf and wrenching the blade from Fili's grasp. A bright light came into existence, and along with it came a great force of energy so powerful it knocked the dwarf back. He teetered on the edge for half a moment, then slipped, his hands clawing at nothing.

Air rushed past him as he hurtled towards the darkness. A scream came from somewhere above, a cry of his name filled with so much anguish and fear it hurt his heart to hear it. Something was following his descent, falling much faster than he was. The light above him was blotted out as a pair of wings unfurled. He felt arms wrapping tight around his middle, and his heart lurched as his fall was abruptly brought to a halt. But then the fall reversed itself as he shot upwards towards the light. The sound of the wind in his ears made his head hurt and his eyes began to water.

The source of the light grew closer and closer, until Fili was sure he was going to crash into it. But before this thought had left his mind trees sprouted from the ground around him, and he felt like he was growing with them, reaching towards the sky. He burst through the leaves, moving ever upwards into the bright blue nothingness that was the world.

His last breath forced its way out of his lungs, and his eyes drooped closed as Fili was graciously welcomed into the afterlife.