Chapter 3

"Hey Mel! Long time, no see, eh?" Trevor hopped up from my bed and was now standing in front of me, hands in the pockets of his basketball shorts. "I see you brought your boyfriend?" He gestured his hand towards Jared who had his arm around my waist.

"W-what are you doing here?" I stuttered, tugging on the ends of my t-shirt.

"Aw, come on. We're going to be roomies, right? Why don't you seem excited to see? I missed you!" 

"Roomies?"

"Uh, yeah? We're sharing rooms, remember?" 

"What are you talking about?"

"You see, if you were here about an hour ago, when I got here, your dad could've told you himself but he figured you were sleeping. So when he let me in his room, I told him you were perfectly fine with it although it was obvious enough you were out with some boy."

"You covered for me...?"

"Well, yeah! Of course I'll lie to sleep with one of the hottest girls I know!" 

"Hey! If you do anything to Mel, you are dead to me. Got it?" Jared stepped in, standing only inches from his face.

"Jared, you can go. I'll call you tomorrow, alright?" I said, squeezing between them. It's already four a.m. and I still refered a few hours as tomorrow. 

"Be careful," he mumbled under his breath and jumped out of my window, landing to the ground on his feet.

~*~

"Why are you here? I thought you were coming tomorrow night," I asked Trevor, sitting at the kitchen table, drinking a cup of coffee. 

"Your dad picked me up after work. I passed out on the couch and woke up to your little phone coversation," Trevor responded while shaking a packet of splenda into his coffee. 

"So you knew I was going out? Why didn't you say hi or something?"

"Why would I? Not like we talk or anything."

He actually made sense. Trevor and I haven't spoken in almost a year.

"Trevor, I'm sorry about your mom. I hope she gets better and everything'll be fine. But please do not ruin this summer for me. We both know I absolutely dread your existence."

"Yeah. Sure." He yawned after taking a sip of his coffee. "I'm tired. Can we go to bed?"

"Trevor, there's only one bed in my room. Floor or couch?"

"Your bed."

"Trevor!"

"Aw come on! It'll be like the old days!"

"No!"

"Please?"

"Absolutely not! Couch or floor?"

"Your. Bed."

"I said no!"

"Melanie! I said yes!"

"Alright, fine! For fucks sake! No spooning, though!"

"Deal."

He happily hopped off of the barstool and skipped up the stairs in the foyer and into my bedroom. The sun was just rising and I was still wide awake. Instead of joining Trevor, I decided to watch a few episodes of Vampire Diaries and reblog a few things on Tumblr. At around seven in the morning, I heard heavy feet stomping down the stairs.

"Melanie?" Trevor asked, standing at the bottom of the stairs, shirtless. He rubbed his teary eyes and his voice was shaking. His normally straight hair was slightly wet and curly from what looked like sweat. I stood up immediately from the couch at his appearance.