Chapter 2 *EDITED*

I woke up to my phone ringing obnoxiously loud from across my room.

I angrily rubbed my eyes and stood up from my bed, pushing my covers away from my body. I tiredly walked to my desk and picked up my phone without reading who it was.

"Hello?" I answered, yawning.

"Hey, Mel! You're up!" A familiar happy voice shouted into the phone. I pulled my phone away from my ear a few inches to avoid deafening myself.

"Oh. Hey, Jared." 

Jared was my best friend since I could remember and was always happy and thought positive. He towered over almost everyone, being six feet and two inches tall. He was also very attractive and could get absolutely any girl he wanted but instead was a closet gay and I was the only one who knew.

"Busy?" he asked.

"Kind of. It's two in the morning, Jared. I was sleeping."

"Oh yeah, huh. Hm. Well since you're up, do you want to go to the beach? I miss you."

"At two am?"

"On a nice summer night, of course! Come on, please? I'm a bit lonely."

I laughed into the phone while switching on my small desk lamp, letting a dim light light my room. "Uh, yeah. Just let me get ready, okay?"

"Of course! I'll see you fifteen minutes?"

"Yeah, I'll see you then."

"Bye, Mel."

I hung up the phone and carefully tossed it on my bed.

I brushed my teeth and put on a grey Adidas hoodie and dark denim shorts. I let my wavy hair sit on my shoulders and slipped on my black and white Vans. I grabbed my keys and phone, stuffing them into a black drawstring backpack and climbed out of my window, onto a tall tree. 

I stepped onto a long, thick branch and carefully squated and hung from the branch, dropping to the ground. Dad should be sleeping, so I didn't bother turning my light off. 

I opened the gate from the back garden to the sidewalk and quickly walked, almost sprinting, to the parking lot of Santa Monica beach.

I spotted Jared on the sand in his casual blue flannel and dark ripped skinny jeans that were always rolled up a few inches from his ankles. Normally, he wears the most expensive pairs of Nikes anyone could buy but today he was wearing a torn up pair of black Vans.

He glanced up from his phone and smiled. "Mel! Oh my god! I missed you!" He ran up to me, stuffing his phone into his pocket, and giving me a really big bear hug.

"I missed you too, Jared," I managed to spit out due to lack of oxygen from his hug. He quickly pulled away when he noticed my struggle to breathe. God, I missed him.

"I'm sorry! Goodness, you look so amazing. Your figure is fabulous!" He stepped back and examined my body which made me blush. Luckily he couldn't tell in the dim light of street lamps.

"Thanks. I started volleyball a few days after summer started. i guess it's paying off! Oh and look at my butt! I have a volleyball butt!" I turned around and stuck my butt out. 

"Damn! I might have to start volleyball!"

"Jared, I missed you so much."

"I missed you too, Mel."

He pulled me into another brother-sisterly hug and leaned down to set his chin on my head. I could be his perfect little sister being only 5'3. We had similar features such as our naturally brown hair (I dyed mine in 6th grade), outstanding blue eyes, and high cheek bones. Since birth, we've acted like siblings and in freshman year, we were mistaken as a couple and won cutest couple in the yearbook. 

"S'mores?" Jared softly asked into my hair. 

I smiled brightly at this.

"Please?" I said into his chest.

"Come on." He pulled away from the hug and grabbed my hand, leading me to a small bonfire pit in the middle of the sand. It was already lit and in flames. Around the pit were two chairs fairly close to each other with two sticks on the arm of the chairs with marshmallows on the end. There were a box of graham crackers and Hershey chocolate bars on the sand. 

I sat next to Jared in the chairs and we immediately began roasting the marshmallows.

"So what's new in life?" Jared asked, sticking his almost black marshmallow into his mouth.

"Hm. Not much. My summer consisted of mainly volleyball games and practices and sleeping."

"That's all?"

"Basically..."

"That's boring."

"Yeah. Hey, you remember Trevor Walsh, right?"

"Uh, yeah! I can I forget the hot bastard that broke my best friend's heart? What about him?"

"Well...have you heard of his mom's accident?"

"Yeah, I visited her in the hospital the other day. She's a total sweetheart. Poor thing."

"Well you aren't going to believe what I'm going to say then."

"Hm?"

"My dad's taking him in with us. He's moving in tomorrow night. Jared, I don't know what I'm going to do." I'm now staring at him with teary eyes.

"Oh my god, Mel. Are you serious?"

"Unfortunately, yes."

"I'm so sorry, oh my god." He leaned over and gave me another tight hug. "Do you want me to take you home?"

I nodded into his chest. "Can you sleep with me tonight?"

"Of course, Mel."

He helped me up and we walked back to my house in silence. When we climbed into my window, I found an unfortunate surprise waiting for me on my bed.

"Trevor?"