Chapter 1: I Got Myself a Very Cool Alien Friend

THE IMAGINARY

CHAPTER ONE: I GOT MYSELF A VERY COOL ALIEN FRIEND

PART 1

Third time this week, Mr. Birdie raised its wings and chirped. It soared to the blue skies of Moonsbane, out by the window. He had gone through this crackle sequence, which also involved the flutters and chirps. My mind-reader, it was a matter of an alternate reality in the real world. Imagination.

It started out dull, then slow. They were lifeless paper tears on my desk, scattered. One fold rose, others did the stitch, and crackles. Now, a paper bird with, uh, life. You had probably guessed what this power was by now. See, I can turn these images inside my head into what we normally perceive as reality, or to put it simply, I can make my imaginations happen. Rather abnormal--no, really.

It took a while for me to accept that I’d become a mind over matter mutant--you know, those in the comic books. Savage was one; and Silver, my alien friend, was to blame. He was an alien, a cool one. But he wasn’t green, all right? He was pale white or silver, like metal, perhaps. He was the friendly omen. Lately, I’d been surrounded with abnormals: a friend’s hair burnt in blazes, a chalkboard eraser floated, and a dog grew angelic wings. I think the culprit might be him. Or was it me?

Oh, I almost forgot, I’m Jake Blackwood. Thirteen. It would certainly be strange if you were to mind-read some stranger. But that would be fun, try it once. I’m a student in Moonridge, the only school in the area. It was your usual school, nothing really much to say about it.

I love mysteries. My dream is to solve the seven mysteries of Arcadia. It’s an urban legend spoken by folks, so some treated it as fiction. But there were immortals! The "they" people said that, Arcano Seed, the last person who accomplished it, was bestowed with the Elixir of Life. He gained the might of a thousand men, led the world to peace, but others argued, said he was a menace. As for me, I didn’t care about that. I only wanted to solve the mysteries for thrill. Pretty childish, huh?

"Jake, up!" Sis’s voice. Was it her? My body rocked, but I maintained the sleeping posture. "Wake up! You’re gonna be late for school!" I felt a cold stare. "Come on, I know you’re awake." Creak, click. And she left.

Monday blues. My acting wasn’t that good. Sis was here--why? Oh, yeah, tomorrow was her first day in Level Four, in far away Sunnyshore, so she’d have to leave later. I heard they called that "college" in the bigger towns. Mom and Dad should be proud--of me, since I learned to live alone.

"Go to school! Now!"

"Coming." And another yell. I got up, drove fast to the bathroom, and gargled. Blum-blum-blum. The water splashed. "I’m coming, OK?"

Sis, I was a big boy now. You didn’t have to--wow, lovely sight. There was something that made the blue grow apple red. Pure heaven. I had just finished my rituals, now groomed like a fine young gentleman: the white polo with its fancy bluish linings, and the pants. Drum, drum. This was the common stair descent. But she was here: innocent, reading. She had her blouse, skirt, and the lace, in the same pattern as my uniform. Lady Beautiful, I missed your charm. Sis was so unlike her.

"Morning, Jake," she said.

I took a seat across her, and then helped myself with hotdogs. Hotdogs? Just hotdogs? Sis, so you did have uncreative mornings. Not like I could complain--I’d have it worse soon.

"Morning."

Call me a nervous kid. I was worried. She was involved in the alien incident, and we hadn’t talked since then. There was a short moment of silence.