Chapter 13: Hero

I'm a superman thanks to Lois Lane

Kissed away my problems when I went insane

Fished me from the bottom when I lost my name

Gave me something I could live for

And everybody wonders what's the change

They don't recognize me 'cause I got so much to say

And I never thought that anyone could love someone

So much that they give up on everything

Robin Thicke-Superman

Drew hung his head down in utter sadness after getting off the phone with his mother. He tearfully explained to his mother that Cassie had attempted suicide. When his mother asked how Cassie's mother was doing, the only thing Drew could tell her was that she was a nervous wreck.

An attending doctor tended to Mrs. Phillips and measured her blood pressure, which was a whopping 204/110, an indication that she was having a hypertensive crisis after hearing the whole story behind Cassie trying to kill herself. She was put in a wheelchair and admitted into the hospital in order to get her blood pressure down before anything else would happen.

Drew, C.J., and Cheyenne were waiting for Mr. Phillips to come back from tending to Mrs. Phillips. When he came back, all three of them sprang to life.

"How's Mom?" Cheyenne asked.

"Well, the meds they gave her helped a little, but her blood pressure's still high," Mr. Phillips replied. "Only saving grace is for her to relax, but she can't relax 'cause Cassie's still in there, and we don't know if she'll be alright."

He then sighed as he sat down between C.J. and Cheyenne. "I was so hellbent that that big shot company tried to buy the plumbing service, and when I found out that he cheated on you, Cheyenne, I...I didn't know what came to me," he said sadly. "I should have listened to your mother and calmed down, then Cassie would have never been scared. If she doesn't pull through... I don't know how I'd live with myself."

"Dad, remember when you would tell us that if you keep on thinking negatively, the bad stuff will come to pass?" C.J. spoke up. "I think it's time for you to take your own advice."

Mr. Phillips then cracked a small smile. "You're right," he said. "Aww, I love you guys!"

He put his arms around C.J. and Cheyenne, as he dropped a kiss on Cheyenne's forehead. Drew smiled at this, as a tear rolled down his cheek. This was a man who had so much love for his wife and his children and would go out of his way for their well being. It was so remarkable and incredible to see. Drew longed to be like him, and never let his family down like his own father did a few months back. He would be the best father and husband to his future family.

Just then, a doctor with a white lab coat came into the room.

"Is the father of Cassandra Phillips here?" the doctor asked.

"Yes, yes," Mr. Phillips responded, getting up from his seat, and walking towards the doctor with Drew, C.J., and Cheyenne in tow. "I'm her father."

"I'm Dr. Liu, I was your daughter's attending doctor today," Dr. Liu introduced. "Cassandra's in stable condition, we've successfully reversed the effects of the overdose by giving her an antidote as well as performing gastric lavage," she explained.

"Which means pumping out her stomach, i-is that it?" Cheyenne spoke up meekly.

"Yes, that's right."