Chapter 11: Saving Grace

Help, I have done it again

I have been here many times before

Hurt myself again today

And the worst part is there's no one else to blame

Drew was finishing up the last question of his chemistry exam. It was fairly easy for him so it didn't take him that long to finish. The quicker he finishes, the sooner he could get to Cassie. He needed to know what was going on with her. Her behavior was completely unnerving and it was a certainty that she was on the road to self-destruction. She was probably there already. That very thought drove Drew to answer his final question with quickness and scrutiny, before turning in his paper and leaving the room, on the way out of the school. Drew figured that Cassie would be at her house by now. He half ran to the train station, swiped his MetroCard and ran downstairs to the Jamaica-bound platform waiting on the E train.

"Ugh, come on," Drew muttered to himself.

At last, the E train came in the station, Drew willingly stepping inside, hope and praying for the train to get him to his stop smoothly. His prayers were answered because he was at the Sutphin Boulevard train station in no time. He ran up the flights of stairs into the outside, and the Q6 bus going towards Kennedy Airport just pulled up to the stop. Drew didn't know if this was anything else other than a sign that something serious was going on and he had to get to Cassie's house as soon as possible.

Be my friend, hold me

Wrap me up, unfold me

I am small, I'm needy

Warm me up and breathe me

Throughout the whole bus ride, Drew thought of the many things that her bullies might have done to her that would cause her erratic behavior. It made him so sick to his stomach that person was so afraid and so broken, that she couldn't tell anyone about her traumatic experiences that is happening right now. It was about time that someone had to step in to help Cassie and put an end to this before it would too late.

Drew almost literally flew out of the bus and ran down Lakewood Avenue, and turned the corner on Liverpool Street, towards Cassie's house. It didn't take long to reach her doorstep. He knocked on the door for a few minutes, before twisting the doorknob, opening the door. Drew felt a chill in his spine at the fact that the door was left unlocked. He stepped inside the house and looked around the place.

"Cassie!" Drew called. "Are you home?"

He looked around the first floor of the house, the dining room, the kitchen, and the living room. He was reluctant to go upstairs because he was taught by his mother that it was rude to go upstairs of anyone's house without their permission. But this was a dire emergency. He took a deep breath before going upstairs.

"Cassie!" he shouted frantically.

He checked every room upstairs until he came to a locked room.

"Cassie, come on, open the door!" Drew protested, banging on the door. "We need to talk, I know you're upset about the midterm, but we could figure this out, we could speak to the teacher to make this better!"

There was no answer. Drew huffed in frustration.

"Cassandra, if you don't open this fucking door, I'll break it down!" he yelled, his Puerto Rican accent coming out.

Still no answer. Drew breathed in and out heavily.

"Alright, you leave me no choice."

Drew backed up a little, before ramming himself through the door with full force, making the door whack open. Drew felt himself grow numb, as the blood flushed from his face at the sight that beheld him.