Chapter Five

Kagome turns on you the moment you emerge. "What were you thinking?"
You blink. She's... Scolding you. You, a year older than she is. For worrying about her wellbeing. For entering the fucking Feudal Era by mistake - because you thought she was in peril.
You tell her so, in a very pointed tone. She stares at you for a moment before sighing. She pinches the bridge of her nose.
"Well yeah, but - you know what? Let's just get you back to Itsuki, for now." Fuck, you'd forgotten about him. He's going to be about as happy as a poked badger when you get back. Uuuugh.

"Where have you fucking been?"
"Uh-"
"Auntie said you were in the Feudal Era," your brother steps around the counter to face you down. "Tell me the truth. Where the hell were you?"
You'd been afraid of this. Itsuki is a skeptic, and doesn't believe what he doesn't see. Sometimes he doesn't even believe what he sees. "I really was in the Feudal Era," you start, but he cuts you off.
"I didn't wait around two days to have you walk through that door-" he points at the door - "-and insult my damn intelligence! Tell me the truth, Arinaga!"
"I fucking am!" You shout, squaring your feet, and he towers over you in response. You're not about to back down, though. "You just aren't listening!"
"I'm listening, but all I'm hearing is bullshit," he snaps, and you feel your expression flatten. Of fucking course he wouldn't believe you. "And you're not allowed over at their house until I get the truth."
You squint at him incredulously. "You can't fucking do that, they're family!"
"I can and I am, and you're going to follow that rule until the criteria is met!" He slams his hand on the kitchen counter and you recoil involuntarily. You know what?
You go quietly into your room. Your door doesn't make a sound aside from the click of the lock behind you. Your window is open - you close it.
Itsuki knocks thirty minutes later, when you've gathered your things. "I mean it, Arinaga," he says, and you scoff. "I know when you're planning something - I'm not letting you go over there even if it kills me." His footsteps carry him down the hallway.
You open the window. You guess it'll just have to kill him, then.

"Arinaga!" Kagome greets, pulling you close for a hug. You don't reciprocate it. You feel like shit. She pulls away when she notices.
"Are you alright?" She asks, and you sigh. "How'd it go?"
You tell her about your brother's ultimatum - if you could even call it that. You also inform her that he doesn't believe a word of what anyone has told him about it.
She wilts. "Arinaga..." You wave her off.
"So," you say, trying for chipper, "when're we going back?"

You spend the night at their house, on the couch in their living room. Man, this sucks. You've got to get something from the Feudal Era to prove to him that it exists, though. That's the goal.
Your sleep that night is jack shit. You toss and turn and huff in frustration until Kagome "wakes you up" at five the next morning.
"What... The fuck, Kagome," you look over at the clock. Five 'o' four, it reads. "Why're you up so damn early?"
"I'm heading over to the Well. You can meet up with us in a few hours, if you'd like."
You squint at her for a long moment. "Yeah, alright," you roll over onto your side. "Go get your mack on with that demon boy while you have the chance."
You fall asleep still smiling at her reaction.

You wake up the next time at ten. What was that... Five hours? Four? Good enough. Might as well get up and get ready, you suppose. It seems that Itsuki hasn't noticed your absence yet.
You pull on a pair of jeans and a tee shirt and, remembering the chill of the air the last time, tie your hoodie around your hips. Your backpack is relatively light - just a spare change of clothes, a toothbrush, a journal and a couple of pens and pencils. You also take a few Yoo-hoo bottles, just because. You're lacing your tennis shoes when the doorbell rings. Your head snaps up to the entryway as Mrs. Higurashi comes down the stairs. She looks at you, and then the doorway. She smiles warmly.
"I'll keep him distracted," she says, and you thank her profusely before pulling your backpack onto your shoulders and bolting through the back door as your aunt opens the front. You hear, "Why hello, Itsuki-" and then the door closes behind you. You sprint to the shrine and throw the door open.
"Stop right there!"
Your brother.
What the fuck? Is he psychic?
You continue on until he says, "I'm not letting you get away this time, you little-" and you're being tackled to the ground from behind.
You kick him away, shouting, "What the fuck, Itsuki!" He grapples for your legs as you struggle to your feet, and you manage to kick him in the shoulder before vaulting yourself into the well. His cry of, "Arinaga!" is cut off by the transition between the present and the past. You close your eyes against their watering and lay at the bottom of the Well for several moments before Koga's voice reaches your ears.
"You gonna lay there all day or what? We're waitin' on you, you damn slowpoke."
You open your eyes to scowl at him - he hangs lazily over the edge of the well. The sky is gray behind his head. You sit up and take the ladder in your hand.
When you reach the top, Koga stands nearby. He's the only one here, you notice.
"What're you doing here by yourself?" You ask, and he looks away.
"Kagome sent me," he grumbles, and his arms cross over his chest. Wow, his biceps are... Large.
You look away. "I see." You haul your backpack higher onto your shoulders. "Let's get going, then."

Kagome waits for you when you reach Kaede's hut. "You ready?"
Ready to completely fuck the relationship you have with your brother right down the drain?
You nod. "Let's go."