Chapter Twenty-Eight

The world fell from beneath my feet as darkness enveloped me.

This beast had killed Philippa. And my mother.

Tendrils of hatred wrapped my heart in a cold embrace. The burning agony of wrath coursed through my veins.

I gripped Mother’s pendant in my hand and faced the serpent. The voice that came from my mouth felt detached and otherworldly—as if it were another person speaking: “Spirit, awaken.”

Shadows spewed from all around me, causing me to drop the pendant. I backed against the wall as the world was completely engulfed in darkness. The Orandine’s jeweled, serpentine form disappeared as the room dissolved into black. The only light came from an unassuming hovering figure that was immersed in a soft, blue glow.

The words I said before came back to me. Was this the creature linked to me? Was it inside the pendant?

The being hung motionless in the center of the black dome that surrounded me. I stepped forward, my dress sliding on the floor. “Are you the spirit?” That was the only logical explanation for this creature: it was a spirit. If I could harness its power, I would be able to destroy the monster that murdered my mother.

“You…” The spirit’s voice was soft and feminine, like a feather—a breath of wind. “…are a fool.”

I stepped back in surprise, only to be met with a bitterly cold wall. The dome of darkness was shrinking, enclosing upon us. I turned to the spirit. “What do you mean?”

Two brilliant ivory eyes shone through the light. They narrowed at me disdainfully. “To summon a pure entity with those feelings is blasphemy,” the spirit said. “I refuse to help you.”

I didn’t understand. What feelings? I only wanted to save Titus and the others! “But—”

“You are engulfed in the very hatred that destroyed our worlds,” it said. “I will not assist a creature with such impurities.”

And with that, the spirit disappeared, leaving me alone in the infinite darkness.

                                                ————————

My eyes opened only to rest upon long, sharp fangs. The Orandine towered above me, his mouth bared in preparation to strike.

I cried out in fear, sinking to the ground and scooting away. But he didn’t move. The jeweled Orandine was frozen. I recognized the familiar tension in the air—the same feeling of Natz’s barrier. But it was different from his barrier. I couldn’t explain it, but there was a feeling of purity in the room.

Kasib’s violet iris pulsed, swiveling to me. I jolted to my feet and looked around for a form of escape. The only plan I had was ruined—the spirit had rejected me. But why? It said I was impure—that my feelings were impure. But I only wanted…

Revenge.

You are engulfed in the very hatred that destroyed our worlds.

The anger that overwhelmed me before turned into a stagnant drumming in my veins. I put my palm to my forehead and closed my eyes. Of course. The Rift Wars were fueled by the hatred of vengeful beings. Those feelings had destroyed the bond between our two worlds—the worlds of humans and magical creatures. And didn’t I just summon the spirit that wanted to free the world from those feelings?

The body of the Orandine vibrated, as if struggling against a powerful force. He was going to break through the spirit’s barrier and Natz wouldn’t come in time to save me. I had to get away. Or at least unchain Clarice and Titus. I hurled myself at the dais and tried desperately to break Titus free of the shackles binding his hands.