Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

A warm breeze brushed against my face as I headed towards home. Street torches hung from shops, casting a soft glow on the cobblestone. The tavern was bustling with activity, the boisterous crowd creating echoes throughout the city square. I stayed to the side of the street as much as I could. There was no need to reveal myself by waltzing down the middle. Titus' warning was not unfounded; there was a plethora of strange beings here at night. And not all of them were human.

I jumped at the sound of a breaking pot behind me, and turned to see a cat dash into the adjoining alley. They needed to get these stray animals under control. The damage they caused was ridiculous. That was why I had an aquaplant—something that never destroyed anything. The perfect pet.

I drew my cloak tighter around myself, wary of every noise. Out of habit, my hand found its way to the pendant I still had pinned in my hair. It was comforting knowing that a part of my mother was with me in this nightly walk. My house was just past the market. Seven minutes away.

Noise echoed from the alley next to me, but I couldn't discern what the sound was. Nevertheless, I walked quicker across the cobblestone. Six minutes. Even numbers were never a good sign.

I nearly tripped myself in the process of entering the marketplace. It was eerily quiet. The stalls were boarded up for the night, and a breeze ruffled the flaps of the covered booths, making it seem as if someone were watching from behind them.

Never before had I been so frightened of traveling alone at night. I thought suddenly that it would have been a good idea to allow Titus or one of his guards to accompany me. I was such a fool to think I could defend myself if something happened.

In the empty market, a tower of buckets came tumbling down next to one of the stalls. I jumped out of the way as they clattered across the road. The cat from earlier, as black as coal, hissed at me for no reason at all. This was why I didn't own a pet—especially a cat. They were frisky little critters who only siphoned money off of you. What use were they anyway? To eat mice and get fat?

I ignored the cat and continued on my way. Four minutes. I could see my house just ahead, down the cobblestone road adjoining the market to my neighborhood. It was so close. So quiet. So eerie. The feeling of being watched came over me, sending shivers up my spine. It was stupid to think that. There was no one watching me. Even so, I glanced behind me. It was only the cat, licking its paw lazily. Yes, it was just a cat. No humans or strange monsters. I would be fine.

Two minutes.

My heart pounded rapidly in my chest, but I didn't know why. I was being irrational. I scoffed at myself for fearing and finally entered my neighborhood. My brownstone house stood in front of me, its oaken door and closed shutters signaling safety. I sighed with relief and made my way to the door.

But before I could unlock the door to my sanctuary, something grabbed my waist from behind and dragged me into an alley.

                                                ————————

I cried out, but the figure put its thick arm around my throat, cutting off my yell.

"Where is the catalyst, Harbinger?" the voice growled in my ear. I knew I had heard the voice before. But I didn't know where.

"What..." I could barely breathe, and my captive seemed to realize that, because he lessened the tension. "What the heck are you talking about?" I choked out.

He abruptly shoved me forward, and I whipped around as the sound of jewelry clinking together resounded through the alley. A man in a cloak stood before me.