Chapter 5: Into the Farm

I breathed in the warm morning air as I took another view of the farm in front of me. The dormitory owned this farm ever since they bought the land. Well, technically, the school owned this farm because the dormitory was a property of the school. Since then, this farm was the venue for anything the school holds that was agricultural-related.

The view was absolutely magnificent. The sunlight reflected the tiny droplets of water on the leaves of the crops, making them shine beautifully. The smooth, fat, healthy red tomatoes swung back and foth through every blow of the wind. Farther down the farm, the crops transformed, giving way for other crops to grow, as long as land would permit it. After the tomatoes comes the corn. High sturdy stalks and yellow corn cobs. This became a natural barrier from the school to the heart of Ladfair. Going through the corn farm would be like going through a natural labyrinth, with high and healthy stalks everywhere you go.

If you counted out the fact that zombies were roaming the land right now, this place was absolutely a place of peace and solitude. Well, too much of happy endings.

I began to walk cautiously through the edge of the farm. The tomato farm was very vulnerable to the zombies. Basically just strolling. The real challenge would be passing through the corn farm. I was about five feet away from the corn farm when I looked behind me. Out in the distance, I could make out faint figures coming towards my direction. Really? Was I really that tasty that they won't give up on catching me?

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I heard a voice say "Well, I knew this would happen." Well I just had to hope that I would get out of this sticky situation and find some other survivors along the way.

Returning my gaze on the high stalks in front of me, I sucked in a breath then exhaled "Come and get me, you foul flesh-eaters!" then ran full speed through the farm.

I really thought that the path was a straight line towards the exit. Turned out that the farm was slightly diagonal to the heart of Ladfair that the path had to be curved a bit. Now I really was lost. I turned around to make sure nothing was following me. Left. Right. Straight. Where should I go?

Closing my eyes, I turned three times. When I opened my eyes, there was a path in front of me. I didn't care what path that was but I trusted my decision. I ran through the path. Turned out I went through the left path. Full speed. I needed to gain more speed. I glanced behind me and saw a female zombie running after me. With panic, I tried to run faster then looked in the view ahead of me. Too late, a stone the size of a cat got my right foot and I tumbled, crashing to the ground.

The zombie was getting nearer. I aimed my gun towards the zombie then-. Woah. Where was my gun? It must've slipped out of my hand when I fell down. I turned to my left. No. To my right. No. My legs hurt. I probably broke my leg, that was a rough fall. I looked in front of me. Gotcha. About a foot from where I sprawled was my gun, lying. If only I could reach it. The zombie was closing in.

With a painful grunt, I lifted my upper body using my hands and crawled slowly to the gun. C'mon. Move. I needed to get that gun. My hand was an inch away from the gun. Half an inch. C'mon. Reach out. Got it. 

As soon as I gripped the gun tightly, the zombie got hold of my arms with its sharp claws. "Gaah! Get off me, you monster!" I cried out. It was making an effort of blocking my hands away from her face but my hands were far from giving up. I couldn't possibly aim directly my gun. I was in shock and in pain. Nevertheless, I pointed my gun at her temple, still battling her wild hands.

One..two..Bang! Then I pulled the trigger. Bang! Her blood sprayed my face and I couldn't see clearly. Blinking the blood out of my view, I saw my hand that was holding the gun wasn't aimed perfectly on her head. It was a bit to the right. Then why was the zombie dead? Wait, there were two shots that i heard. The first one couldn't have been mine because I was still counting when I heard it. So whose gun was that?

"Are you okay?" It was a girl's voice. A teenager's voice, actually. I turned around, just in time to see a brown-haired girl offer her hand for me. Thanking her, I took her hand and stood up, forgetting about my broken leg. Taking in her full being, I saw that she was wearing a black coat over a white long sleeve with a blue tie, a black pleated skirt that was about two inches above the knee in length, white socks, and black schoolgirl shoes.

I just realized something. She goes to my school alright, but there's something more. She's my classmate. Well, more than a classmate. Do you still remember Nina?

Yeah, she was the girl I had a crush on.