- Chapter 10 -

I woke up Monday morning with hunger growing in my stomach

I woke up Monday morning with hunger growing in my stomach. I was back in my dorm room after a weekend well spent with my mother weeping on the couch about my father's death. The tiny creature I had grown accustomed to having around had been gone since Friday night, when I had originally found out about my father's passing. Something felt strange today about waking up and heading to my classes without him. I roll over in my bed, grabbing my phone off the desk next to me before checking it for messages. There was just one.

'Do you want a ride to school today?'

Nathan was so sweet thinking about me. I quickly respond back to him with a yes before pulling the sheet away from my skin. I needed to take a quick shower if I was going to look half decent today. Once I was out of the shower I stood staring at myself in the mirror. My thoughts wondering to where the tiny green creature had gone. There was no sign he had returned here this weekend while I was at my mother's house. There was no sign anything had been fixed with my fathers death. Was Miles still non-existent in my mother's eyes?

I pull the towel closer to my skin as I lean forward looking in the mirror. The blue in my eyes seemed more gray than normal scaring me slightly. I quickly pull out my makeup bags looking for anything to help liven my skin up. Grabbing my concealer I dab it under my eyes and on a few spots on my face. That will have to do for now. I kept trying to make my makeup look as good as the night of Nathan and I's first date, but there was nothing in my bag that could possibly stand next to magic.

"Damn where is that leprechaun when I need him?" I stopped for a moment thinking back to the night when I had first met him. Didn't he mention I only got three wishes? I shook my head trying to remember what the rules were. Had I wasted too many of my wishes already. Did I only have one wish left to make everything right? Here I was complaining about my makeup when I could have possibly ruined my mothers life.

"Ailis, if you can hear me please come," I whisper into the silence pausing for just a moment to see if anything would happen. It didn't. A little disappointed I began working on the rest of my makeup, doing the best I could to highlight my eyes in a way that would make them look more alive.

Grabbing some close out of my closet and placing them on my bed I glanced around the room once again. I realized I had never made a bed for him here in my dorm room. He had one at my house but that wasn't where I would be spending most of my nights. Shuffling through some of my towels I found a few that were large enough for his tiny body but not too big that it would overwhelm him. Placing them on the desk beside my bed I created him a little makeshift home.

"Make a home and they will come," I whispered to myself waiting yet again for anything to happen, but yet again I was met with silence. There had to be a way I could get Ailis back. There must be something that connected the two of us so I would be able to call him to me, no matter where I was. If only there was a rule book or a piece of paper that told me all I needed to know-- I froze. That was it.