Chapter 6

It took us about two days to get to Uncle Matt's house. The town was small and very different from the crowded city I was used too, but it was beautiful with all the leaves starting to change.

Uncle Matt's house was just big enough for us. Lily and James would share a room until they were older in which case lily would move into my room. This left the other bedroom upstairs the guest room.

It was kind of strange having Matt as a guardian, he was more of an older brother. I guess it was because he was so young. He was only twenty five and was only two years out of college. He now was working at one of the local elementary schools as a PE teacher.

We had another week before the school started back there so we spent most of the time settling into the place. It was hard adjusting but Matt made it easier for us, and as I promised I talked to Zach and Megan every day which helped. It had been a little awkward at first with Zach. I wasn't sure what to say, but he never brought up the kiss so I didn't either.

Friday afternoon I decided to walk Jake. Jake was Matt's golden retriever, I already considered him mine and he slept In my room now.

I grabbed Lily and James and we headed down the street with Jake. I hadn't gone down the street to the left yet so I decided to explore that side of the neighborhood.

We were halfway down the street when Jake stopped,sniffed,and perked his ears and took off running. It caught me off guard and I lost my grip on the leash.  

"Jake." I yelled to get his attention hopping he'd listen and stop. Just my luck though he just kept running down the street.

"Lily, James. Why don't you head home and get Uncle Matt and tell him Jake got loose ok?" I said, they nodded and ran back to the house.

I started running after Jake and calling him hopping I'd be able to catch him. Jake started to slow down and I thought I was going to catch him until he turned and ran into someone's backyard.

"Jake!" I yelled in frustration. I chased after him hopping that who ever owned the house would forgive me. The backyard fence was open so I peeked my head in.

I got there just in time to see Jake jump up on some guy who fell over in surprise. Jake then

"Jake no, bad boy!" I yelled and ran over to him grabbing the leash and dragging him off the poor guy.

"Oh my gosh! I am so sorry are you okay!" I asked the guy and offered him my hand. He ignored it and just sat up. Now that I could see him better I realized he was about my age, maybe a little older. He had short blonde hair, tan, and looked like you stereotypical jock/football player.

"Nah. It's cool it's not the first time I've had a tussle with this guy. Isn't that right buddy." He smiled and rubbed Jake's head, who licked him causing the guy to chuckle.

"So I believe introductions are in order. I'm Chase." He said and he stood up and offered me his hand.

"Martha." I said shyly. I took his hand and shook it. When I did I felt a shock run through my fingers and I jerked my hand back.

"Weird. Sorry about that." He said with a frown. I just smiled weekly.

"Martha?" I heard behind me and recognized Matt's voice.

"Ah. I thought he'd run back here. Hey Chase how are you doing." He asked and gave him one of those hand shakes/man hugs.

"Good. Hey isn't she a bit young for you?" He joked. I just glared at him. I could tell he was going to be a pain to deal with.

"Haha. Chase, This is Martha, and her brother and sister Lily and James." Lily and James came out from behind uncle Matt and came next to me.

"Hi Lily, James. I'm Chase." He said kindly.