Chapter 28 (Final Chapter)

Ch. 28

Ruby pulled away and gave me a smile before holding up another dress for inspection. I shook my head, wrinkling my nose. Turning back toward the wedding gowns, I began leafing through them, memories of Jake still clouding my thoughts.

A couple of weeks after calling things off with him, I realized I'd made a grave mistake. Putting my ego aside, I broke down and phoned him the morning he was to move back to Texas. I felt compelled to apologize for acting like such an ass, and confessed how much I regretted ending things the way I had.

And just like Jake, he let me off the hook and said he understood. But he still had to leave.

We kept in touch for awhile after that but eventually drifted apart. Once school resumed, I was forced back into my familiar, chaotic routine, while Jake became reacquainted with college life. You'd have thought my full schedule would have relieved some of my heartache, but it didn't. Jake lingered in my thoughts for years to come.

Once I entered college, I didn't dwell on the past nearly as much. I'd gotten involved in campus life and my studies, finally deciding to major in medicine. I ended up dating quite a bit during those years, but never really had gotten serious with anyone. Not until I met Christopher.

Christopher...

We'd met during our residency at a small hospital just outside of Savannah, Georgia. Chris and I had fallen head over heels rather quickly and became engaged even quicker still. When I took him home to meet my family for the first time, they'd liked him immediately. Even Mags, who had confided that she'd noticed how my eyes lit up around Christopher almost as much as they had lit up for Jake. I sensed she still harbored the idea of Jake and me together. She'd always been such a shrewd little woman, who perhaps had more insight than I'd ever given her credit for.

Last year, Mags suffered a severe heart attack and died instantly. It had been such a terrible and unexpected blow--for everyone who knew her. We had always been so close, and I missed her more with each passing day. I could not believe she would not be there to watch me walk down the aisle.

My eyes scanned the row of wedding gowns, finally resting on one dress in particular. Bringing my hand up to it, I let my fingers trail along the beaded bodice, appreciating it's simple elegance. With it's feminine, off-the-shoulder neckline and stunning Chantilly lace detail, it had a glamorous vintage feel to it I simply couldn't resist. I had to remind myself to breathe. Gingerly, I lifted it from its place and held it up for Ruby to see.

"Oh, Addy!" she gasped, bringing her fingers to her mouth. "It's perfect." Embracing me once more, Ruby whispered, "Mags would be so happy."

My voice caught in my throat. I knew she was right.

I hadn't expected to see Jake at the funeral, but there he was, looking even more handsome than I had remembered. I knew then after all those years, I was still in love with him. Awkwardly, I approached him, not even knowing where to start. I had so many questions--like, was he married?

He was not.

Suddenly, I was thrilled I had not brought Christopher along with me. He'd wanted to come to the funeral, but for some reason, I declined.

Fate? I had to wonder.

Jake was genuinely upset about Mags' passing and offered his sincere condolences. She had been so wonderful to so many people, and there wasn't a dry eye in the very crowded house. He took me out for a drink after the luncheon that followed the funeral and we reminisced about the past and that one magical summer we had spent together when I was eighteen. He told me I had broken his heart.