Chapter 10

Ch. 10

Ruby and I made it back from swimsuit shopping in record time, and I had to admit, I was very pleased with my purchase. I settled on a pale blue bikini with a halter top, and bottoms that tied on each side. It fit like a glove and I decided I would change into it at Ruby's, just in case my mom wanted to see it.

I made it to Mags in time for lunch and offered to tend to the chickens for her, hoping to run into Jake. And my devious plan worked.

"Hi there, stranger," I called out as I tossed the bird feed around me. The chickens clucked hungrily but I only had eyes for Jake as he dazzled me with a lazy half smile. Slowly, he sauntered his way over to the coop.

"Hey, Addison," he drawled. "I was just thinking about you."

I instantly felt my face heat up, but managed to smile sweetly. "What a coincidence. I was just thinking about you, too." I stepped toward the fence that enclosed the coop and leaned against it, batting my eyes in way I hoped was seductive.

Jake's eyes lit up with pleasure."Thinking about anything in particular?"

"Oh, you know, nothing specific. Just general thoughts, really." I gave him a sly smile and lifted my hand, shielding my eyes from the bright, afternoon sun.

He gazed at me in amusement and I could tell he wasn't buying my indifferent act. "Nothing specific, huh?"

I stifled a giggle at the expression on his face, but continued on with the game, shrugging my shoulders nonchalantly.

"That's too bad," he responded. "I was hoping you were thinking about last night, and how enamored you must feel toward me today."

I bit my lip hard, trying to hide my smile. "Well, you are pretty charming."

"I knew it! These cowboy boots have never let me down."

I laughed at his joke and took a deep breath as I prepared to ask him out. On a date. With me. "Actually," I began nervously, "I really was thinking about last night. I had a very nice time . . . You know, after the whole Brett incident," I added, rolling my eyes. "I was wondering if you'd want to hang out again?"

One corner of his mouth tipped up into a smirk, and I instinctively knew the answer would be 'yes'.

"I don't know," he slowly teased. "What did you have in mind?" A lock of dark hair fell across his forehead and he removed his cowboy hat to brush it away. I couldn't tear my eyes from him as he lifted the hat back to his head in a way I found incredibly sexy.

"Well, um, my friend Ruby is having a bonfire tonight at her place. She has one every Friday," I explained, trying to regain my composure. "Her pool is open, too. I missed last week's party, so as her best friend I'm sort or obligated to go to this one. I was wondering if you would want to come with me?"

"Will your friend Brett be there?"

"He's not my friend," I reminded him, adamantly shaking my head. "And the answer is no."

"And you'll be wearing a swimsuit?"

I felt a blush color my cheeks, and I fought to look him in the eye and not down at the ground. "Of course," I said, "How else would I go swimming?"

His eyebrows shot up in amusement as he watched the embarrassment spread across my face. "I can think of other ways." I swallowed hard and looked away, wondering if I was ready for a college man after all. What if going out with Jake turned into more than I could handle? What if he expected certain things from me? Admittedly, the idea had me terrified, and undeniably interested.